Meteorite ?

Strange stuff, yesterday I stopped on a gravel road at a place I noticed that the ground didn't freeze and have been thinking about for

2 weeks. Sure enough was a bit mushy for frozen solid. Today I ask a friend if antifreeze does that type of thing up here @ the 45th or am I nuts while I have the metal detector in the vehicle. I'm thinking Russia satellite, got to stop reading these, the sky is falling books. The bounce is uranium and gold mining in the area, anyhow I stop again and the detector goes blank in the area. Hmmm, break out the shovel and not easy digging. Try the detector again, the non-signal is gone, cool. Got the thing in hand and still shuts off the detector. All I have is a cheapy volume knob control, seems to have stopped working right up here next to Iron mountain MI. Then the inlaw shows up and said that he dumped antifreeze there...

So I wash it off and it is black and like a regular rock smooth on one side and broken on the other like it exploded and on the smooth side looks like the surface popped off like a torch to concrete. The broken side looks like polarized crystals as if they move about 1/32" above the surface, I don't shake much and don't need glasses up close.

Recently I gave away a lathe and noticed almost out the door a magnet so strong I couldn't get it off and it was given back weeks later, which I keep in a special place with a warning sign. This thing jumps right up to the magnet and the taconite that I have from years ago slowly moves to it. The thing is greenish compared to the taconite.

I saw one site for nickel testing , but lost it at the moment. I also found a impact site close to me through google earth, but as yet been able to figure out how to find out or not, big lush cedar swamp. Someday it will be magnetometer experiments.

Anyhow, thought that was weird, found something on a false anomaly.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

If it is a meteorite, don't play with it too much. They can be worth 100X their weight in gold.

Have someone who knows about such things check it out.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

It could be a meteorite.

When I was a kid I found an egg shaped piece that was as you described. I may still have it.

Ignoramus18879

Here is some advice on what to do if you think you have found a meteorite:

anorton

Perhaps its radioactive. Is your hair falling out yet?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Mine is falling out.

You can see it in this video.

Ignoramus18879

So FIX IT, Ig!

it's good enough for Ron @ Ronco...

-- Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens. -- Epictetus

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If the green is olivine, you got something. Those Meteorite Men take theirs to a University in Arizona, is it Flagstaff?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Sounds like a typical sample of green kryptonite.

Keep it away from me.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Phoenix.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

--Go to a car stereo place and look for "Duramat" (IIRC). Basically it's a peel-and-stick sheet of clay. It does a great job of deadening sound and other vibrations. I've seen it used in doors, under hoods, etc to knock down all kinds of noises; oughtta work a treat as a cheap-ish retrofit; no fancy sandwich steel technology needed.

Reply to
steamer

I've just heard something so terrifying that it will make your hair fall out.

Oh. I see you've already heard it. Never mind.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I once had a bald boss, and he had a nice sign on the wall in his office:

"God gave some men perfect heads. The rest got hair."

;-) Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

One of my past bosses (African-American)was going gray and balding. And he was younger than me. He was always whining about it. One Friday afternoon, we were sitting in his cubicle and he was complaining about it. I said, "Al, just shave the rest of it off. Its the 'in' look with all the NBA players". I was just joking around, but the following Monday, he came in, completely bald.

My grandfather did the same thing. When his hair started to go, it all got shaved off. He looked sort of like Yul Brenner.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I didn't know that metorites made that much nosie, after striking the earth? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, the meteorite that brought the Blob definitely made much nosie! Just ask Bullitt!

;-D Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

--Hey I meant to post that to another thread; how'd it wind up here?? Musta been the hangover.. ;-)

Reply to
steamer

The toothpicks that were holding your eyes opened snapped, again? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell