"MICA"

I am looking for a supplier of the material called "mica".

It was used as a lense material for all kinds of lighting. If anyone can help, please respond.

Mike Mitchell snipped-for-privacy@crenshawlighting.com

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

Pete Bergstrom

Tar Heel Mica Co. Highway 19 Plumtree, North Carolina 28664

704-765-4535
Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:32:43 -0400, "Mike Mitchell" calmly ranted:

I've found a place on the Web a few years ago who sold sheet.

------------------------------------------- Crapsman tools are their own punishment

Comprehensive Website Design ======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Also look for "isenglass".

As in:

The wheels are yeller the upholstery's brown The dash board's genuine leather With isenglass curtains you can roll right down In case there's a change in the weather

A verse from the song "Surrey With a Fringe on Top", from that great musical "Oklahoma."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

How much do you need, and in what thickness? We use small sheets thin and flexible enough to wrap around a 1/4" shaft. I can get the name of our supplier if you like.

RJ

Reply to
Backlash

Mica is a rock. Literally - it's a naturally occuring mineral that has a number of desireable electrical, thermal, and mechanical properties.

Uses include:

Lampshades Windows on wood and coal stoves Electrical insulation for heat producing devices like heat guns, and old toasters Heat sink insulators for semiconductors

And the classic, ever-popular, 'small square of mica with a tin rim, used as a shield when turning brass,' from SB's book, How to Run a Lathe.

I think McMaster Carr sells it.

Jim

jim rozen

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Regardless of how Hammerstein spelled it, far more frequently the spelling is "isinglass" not "isenglass". (22100 google hits vs 369)

WOT, (wandering off topic) mica is an excellent dielectric, used in "silver mica" capacitors, where mica split into thin layers is flashed with silver. Better than 10^11 ohms resistance, good power handling capacity, stability. But the quality of mica available from mines has gone down somewhat, so I imagine economic viability of silver micas vs polystyrene/polyester/polypropylene is headed downhill too.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

I use to have a 4" X 4" X 4" chunk of it that I got out of a vein inside a huge scary mine. IIRC it was multi-sided long white/clear crystals about 1/4" wide for each of them. I'd love to remember how to get there again. Its somewhere SE of Vegas , I can never find "good" areal maps. Hmmm, with cable it might be worth looking again cause of the speed. Last time I tried to find something anything close to the dam it wasn't available.

Reply to
Sunworshiper