Mini lathe question

I've recently received a chinese mini-lathe and just ignore the function of a certain part of it. A photograph of it is here:

seen this part described anywhere. Any help appreciated.

Reply to
nick

Hmm, mine doesn't have that, nor have I seen anything like it. Looks like someone added it - how did you get this lathe? Did you get anything with it that looks like it would fit that bit?

Reply to
jtaylor

Nope, the lathe is new, bought some weeks ago. No accesories included fit in there, but I'm sure its a new feature for something.....

Reply to
nick

BTW the lathe is distributed by a german firm, its exactly this one:

nick

Just a WAG - attachment/pivot for a taper attachment?

Reply to
Fred R

Perhaps, an attachment point for a milling table?

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Hmm ... the round feature with a single flat ground on one side?

It looks to me as though it is intended to provide a flat surface parallel to the travel of the compound. That might serve with a sine bar (and gauge blocks) to allow you to set the compound to a more precise angle than is otherwise available -- perhaps in preparation for turning a Morse taper, or something similar where the angle is critical.

Or -- it might be a flat large enough to slap a magnetic base for a dial indicator onto for checking runout.

But -- these are only a guesses.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On 18 Dec 2004 10:04:54 -0800, "nick" calmly ranted:

Shirley that's a prefabbed holder for a poke-in light which tracks the tool, huh? ;)

That looks like a nice little lathe. What brand/model/price?

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It looks a lot like the base of a chip guard. I have a 3 in 1 Chinese machine distributed by Busy Bee in Canada and it came with acrylic guards screwed to metal rods. The rods fitted into blocks such as that with pins to control their orientation or spring loaded balls to retain them. Long ago stripped off as I rarely generate hot chips.

John.

Reply to
John Wilson

||I've recently received a chinese mini-lathe and just ignore ||the function of a certain part of it. A photograph of it ||is here:

||Havent seen this part described anywhere. Any help appreciated.

That link doesn't seem to work for me. I just get kicked back to the homepage for dcpchallenge.com. Maybe it's not Mozilla-friendly?

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
rex

What do you think of your 3 in 1. I was thinking of buying one from BusyBee. I was looking at the larger model with 1.125 spindle bore.

Reply to
habbi