miter "bandsaw"

I seen the post about the chop saw and abrasive blades and had another
thought. Has anyone here built a miter bandsaw (not sure it that is the
right name) like the production " Ellis" saw? This saw has the ability
to switch to angles quickly like a chop saw from what I have heard. I
have never seen one before, but have seen some pictures in catalogs. It
was a while ago, not sure how it was arranged. Could this be possible
for a home machinist to build? You can pick up 4"x6" saws for a
reasonable price, than fabricate the rest yourself. Probably not ideal
for a production application, but for the home shop guy it may suite.
Anyone got any ideas on this, or know how the actual unit works???
Thanks,
Craig
Reply to
Craig
A small version is at
GMasterman
I built a miter stand for a Porter Cable Porta-band and love it. It works on the same idea as the wood miter power saws, with a fixed cutting area to clamp the work into and the saw pivots to select the cut angle.
I work a lot of small (1/2" - 2") steel box tubing and have used a chop saw for too long. This bandsaw is quiet, clean, has a much smaller kerf and is not a fire hazard!
Bob
Reply to
MetalHead
Or a much less expensive one:
Grant Erwin
I have seen the portable handheld bandsaws before, used one to cut parts for a dock I was helping a friend build on site, worked great. But, I have never seen the miter version,looks like a handy tool. The Grizzly one also miters??? Cant tell from the picture. Who is the manufacture of the other model?? I dont think the price is out of line for that model. I may look into one of these units just for angles. Thanks guys Craig PS have any of you guys built one of these yourself??
Reply to
Craig
Could we see some pictures? That's something that I'd like to do for my Porta-band. Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt