More mill progress

I fixed (welded) one cast iron bracket that held the roller for the front part of the skirt. Used Nickel 99.
I removed the rear skirt and junked it, as it was old, stiff, had
tears, and lots of chips embedded. Mike Henry gave me some rubber and neoprene sheets a couple of years ago, I used pieces from them for some miscellaneous purposes, but now I just made a great use of one rubber sheet as the rear skirt. It fully covers the ways, with some extra on each side.
Milled some machinable wax to test some of my G-code scripts. I finally have a perl fuction to generate G-code to mill a deep rectangular pocket in many passes, debugged. It is funny how bugs in code translate into incorrectly milled pieces.
So now I can mill a deep rectangular pocket of more or less any dimension. Because in CNC there is not much difference between bigger and smaller, I machined small pockets to save wax.
Bought a slab of wax and stearine at a hobby store. I will try to follow some homemade machinable wax recipes. I use a "Presto kitchen kettle" to melt the wax. I poured my first one today and will report how it works out after it cools down.
i
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.