More progress with the mill

Not as much progress lately for three reasons.
1. I was away for 4 days 2. It is very hot in the garage 3. I have been using the mill a lot, besides just working on it.
I got a few things accomplished, however.
1. I mounted a nice 17 inch monitor (1280x1024) in place of the old display. I had to cnc machine the brackets holding it, which was awfully nice. I could dream up the shape I want, alter it, etc and the mill makes exactly what it is instructed to make. The brackets were curvy where necessary, which was no problem for the mill, of course.
2. Mounted keyboard on brackets under where the old control was (slightly under the pendant).
So, now I have a gaping hole in place of where the old Heidenhain control was. Keyboard is under that hole, a few buttons on the left, and finally the new 17" monitor is above that hole. I would say it is 12x10 or even more. So, what should I do with it?
My only answer was to use that to put in little shelves and keep my measuring tools (edge finder, calipers, touch probe etc etc) in that little area on the tiny shelves.
Any other ideas?

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of work, I head home, to get into air conditioning. I now know what fat feels like being rendered. It is only 90 and humid inside the plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have my sympathy.

That is good. Pictures of what you have made?

Sweet!
Sounds like an excellent idea. The flat top of my lathe is cluttered with tooling, measuring instruments, and inserts. That is what flat surfaces are for. ;)

Not really, you seem to be figuring the clutter part out fine for your self. :)

Its just friggin' awful here in MN. Dew point of 70+ and nearly 90. I need to work outside and just can't. How do folks in places like Mississippi live?
Karl

Yesterday it was 96 F here in central NJ. Today it was 78 and drizzling, so there is hope.
--
Ed Huntress

Ouch. But after rain, comes more humidity. I'm getting tired of checking the NWS website to see that my humiditiy is at 100% each morning. I doubt either one of us are experiencing an Arizona 'dry' heat.
I went online to pay my electric bill today, noticed that my budgeted plan wanted an extra 159 bucks to settle for the year. Not so sure how much was my heated machine room and how much was my almost constantly running a/c in power save mode. Oh well, my comfort is worth it.
On the flip side, I got to skip a payment on propane last month since winter was mild so I broke even when I had to settle that budgeted account. Global warming content there ;)

Dry heat here means that mushrooms may grow in your hat, but not in your ears.

I sounds like you have the climate well controlled -- at least in your house. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress (typing while sitting in front of an air conditioner/water
distiller unit -- too bad batteries are sealed these days)

I've noticed the east coast has been hit hard this year.

Yes, free battery water. That likely went over the heads of 40 and below.
I'm still waiting for a G24-48 gel cell for a electric pallet jack with fork lift capability. The economy is coming back, getting a freaking battery is taking a week and fanuc parts are out there at least a week+ or so on many items.
Japan doesn't seem to understand JIT like they used to. I needed a bearing pack for a THK motion system. It was 2 months out two months ago. I just recieved it. I can tell you many horror stories about getting repair parts out of Japan. Japan is getting worse than Europe on holiday.
The recovery, that I think has finally started, is going to be rocky. My opinion might be biased by working in a firm that has a pick up in sales during the summer.
Wes

The economy is what's happened since your last paycheck. <g> Sorry to hear about the Japanese parts. Maybe they laid their people off, or they're sending the parts to China first.
--
Ed Huntress

Wes wrote:

Panasonic has a 25 week lead time on some electrolytics I need. I like their FM series low ESR 105C capacitors for switching power supplies.
Wes, what bothers me is that it is even worse in my garage than outside. It feels outright oppressive in here. I explain this by
1) The attic has no ventilation and gets hot 2) I get radiative heat form the walls, but outside there is no heat coming from the sky.

I'm really looking forward to being there next week, Iggy. You make it sound so inviting. Would you rather go fishing? I have tickets for a Kane County Cougars minor-league game on Monday. d8-)
--
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:29:50 -0500, Ignoramus22661

So put in a powered gable vent, or at the least..one of those turbines that go on the roof.
Gunner
"
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:49:27 -0400, Wes

That must have been the hottest day yet this summer.
Here's something to cheer ya'll up.
http://www.solarcycle24.com/flares.htm
The cycle is just starting its upward climb. Hey I was really worried when I moved up north and there was hardly any sun spots in '08.
SW
Karl Townsend wrote:

Inside as much as possible . I'm not quite in Mississippi , but about as close as one can get .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

    Actually -- "nearly 90" is better than some of what we have been getting.
    Visit:
        <http://www.d-and-d.com/Weather/weather-report-classic.html
and scroll down to look at the "Last 7 Days Outdoors" graph. Beware that the scale for the temperature (red) is different from the humidity (blue).
    Today (yesterday by the time you read this) was pretty good -- at only about 87 F peakd. The previous two days peaked at 95 F, and within the last month, we had over 100 F (the official temperatures at the airports were higher than ours with some trees offering cooling shade).
    If you are in time to see the 5-Aug-6Aug time, note the plateau of humidity (blue) -- when we had a total of nearly 3" of rain (now off the 7-day record in the "test tubes" display.
    We got about 1.2" of rain last evening, and the humidity is sky-high again. :-)
    But quite a few people lost power and several homes and one large apartment building were seriously damaged by falling trees.
    This has been a rather exciting year for weather -- with over 30" of snow last winter and all. :-)
    No air conditioning in the shop -- just a floor pedestal fan which I can point at where I am working at the moment -- or trip over trying to get past it. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Wes wrote:

And we need it ! It was 102 here in Memphis today , with a heat index near 120 . More of the same tomorrow . Thank (Diety of choice) that I've had work in an air conditioned space this week .
--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

No, no, no. Flat surfaces are the exclusive territory of cats. Anything placed on a flat surface is, by default, a cat toy.

I lived in Oklahoma for a while, there, 110 degrees was not unusual.
I can work in the garage, with the fan running, but it just is not as fun as it could be.

Some pictures
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Andrey-Part/Andrey-Part-0003.jpg.html
http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Bridgeport-Series-II-Interact-2-CNC-Mill/25-Monitor-Mounting-Brackets/
Also made some molds for wax.

Yes.. The monitor is from a trash pile at work. It had no stand, which actually suited me just fine.

I have no free flat surfaces. :)

I am "trying to declutter" in anticipation of a visit by an esteemed member of this newsgroup next week. I do not want my garage to look like a dumpster.
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:41:36 -0500, Ignoramus22661

Iggy...its REQUIRED that your shop looks like shit!
I mean geeze dude...having a squeeky neat shop...is..is..is...nasty! Effeminate! DUDE!!!
Now Ill admit..mine is far far past looking like shit...way over to the Shit Hole stage......but Tovarish...only panseys have Neat Shops!!
<G>
Gunner
"

It would not becmoe neat, in any case.