Most Frugal and Practical Pickup Truck?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:42:53 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Yabbut, you already have a gazillion of them in several locations. Anything not in your collection already has got to be $$$$.

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Too_Many_Tools wrote in news:b41fb467-5caf-4ccd- snipped-for-privacy@t1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

One with a Diesel engine BUT expect to pay a premium price for one in good shape:

Before I bought mine [2003.5 Dodge/Cummins 1-ton] I checked around to see what might be available on the used market and was universally told that the gassers that came in had worn-out engines and that the Diesels had good engines but everything else was "shot".

Obviously, the "answer" was to buy 2 trucks (1 gasser & 1 diesel) and convert the gasser into a diesel. [An expensive option.]

If you're insistent upon a gasoline-engined truck, the Dodge RAM comes with a Hemi engine and a control computer that will shut off the fuel for up to

4 cylinders if the power isn't needed at the moment. [They've been using this engine in cars for a couple of years.] This will extend fuel economy.
Reply to
RAM³

And your point is?

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:54:54 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Oh, you mean that I shouldn't use the antithetical terms "collector" and "logical" in the same sentence? OK. My bad.

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A diligent collector will make all efforts to have one of each type of item he collects. Im still very far behind the curve. For example..the Finn Mod 39 and the Mod 24s have at least 15 variations. Currently I dont have a M24 with an "NSD" mark on the barrel shank. Or a captured and converted M39 which was originally made by New England Westinghouse. ( I do however have one marked Remington) See, Im trying to preserve history and behave as a good collector would.

Sigh..being a purist...thankless..sniff...but somebody has to set the standards...sob... So many firearms..so little time....sigh

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:24:33 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

I know I was amazed at the tiny collection of 30 or so you kept at home.

- Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.) -----------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

30? Oh, yes. I only have 30. Ayup..thats it. Who would need any more than that? And I suspect you counted some of those things maybe three times! Cetainly! 30 is a very good number. It sounds better than 74.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:27:55 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

I was thinking 50, but wasn't sure so I put 30. It did take us several hours to go through them all, didn't it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just the ones I showed you. Hardly all.

Some would require a shovel, others would require a claw hammer and furniture moving, others would require serious execation of a couple closets

Actually..4 sounds better.

Shug.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos shoed that Gunner wrote on Wed, 16 Jan 2008 23:24:33

-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

The sign that you have too many firearms, is when you track down a rare variation and finally get it. Then, when you are putting it away, discover you have the other one. That my friend, is when you know that you may have a problem. But there are reports that Chocolate, sex and protein for breakfast will help improve your memory.

mine too.

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Ah...ere...ahum...well.... hum.... Does it count when you trade the duplicate for something you really didnt have?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Depends on where you are. Took me months to find a long bed (8') extend cab pickup in the price range I wanted. But I did finally score an F-150 for 4K. Runs great, minimal on features though.

Around Chicago long beds seem to be next to extinct in the used market. Or where when I was looking. Of course the low price point did limit me.

I've ran that pickup for 3 years now, and only had to change the fuel pump (I have a bad habit of letting the gas run real low which tends to lower fuel pump life). Has 215K miles on it, 100 of which I've put on.

Its the 4.6L version so its not a great trailer puller, but does get about 22MPG on the highway without a heavy load.

Reply to
marc.britten

Perhaps, maybe, just could be, Because they (electrical, fi type,) are vane type pumps; and rely on fuel for lubrication and cooling? A few seconds or a minute running dry causes some wear, but hot wiring one and letting it run for a half hour dry will accelerate the damage. Cheap plastic cr__.

OT: I just got a frugal truck. 1987 F150 Supercab Lariat XLT, 302 auto. $495, wouldn't start. Runs now. Tank selector leaks, needs tie rod ends. Touchup.

wws

Reply to
wws

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:42:57

-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Consulting the Judges, the answer is "Only if you really didn't have what you were trading for." Although there is a dissent that you, having amassed the Set, should not break up said set. But it is a free country, so as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses. No, the sign is that you have so many, you forgot one particular make and model. Not what you do with it afterwards.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I traded off a Ruger Standard 22 (self loader) some 15 yrs ago, for something that I wanted more.

A couple years ago as the result of a 3 cornered trade, I wound up with a similar pistol. When I went to enter it into my database..the serial number popped up. Seems Id gotten my gun back. I actually dont remember the original swap. I had to look it up.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

The fuel works as coolant and Lube. Extremely low tanks don't give nearly enough of the coolant. I'm talking about needle on E kinda low. I used to have a tenancy to let the needle go under the E before filling.

Reply to
marc.britten

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Sun, 20 Jan 2008 04:02:56 -0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

ROFL!

I'm not even in the same class as that.

Now Carlin ... he's a scrounge and tool hound. Boy's weirder than a snakes suspenders, but a pleasure to be around.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I purchased an '86 1 ton GMC with the 454 engine. With a stiff tail wind and running empty, I could get just at 10 mpg on the freeway. 4:10 gears, 4 WD, not a dually. I drove it for almost 60,000 miles without any problems, aside from the damned thing couldn't drive past a gas station without stopping.

Best thing I ever did was sell it. Replaced it with a couple Dodge Cummins diesels, one of which is a '94 3/4 ton. 22 mpg. The other, a '99 1 ton 4 WD with a box van (bought new as a cab & chassis) gets only about 15 mpg. Both have been trouble free aside from a couple minor repairs on the '94, which has 110,000 miles on it.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:39:31 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Harold and Susan Vordos" quickly quoth:

My new Tundra with the 4.7L V-8 just got filled up for the first time. I'm averaging 14.3mpg, lower than I expected. BUT, it's the winter mix, it's all been in-town driving, they recently also mandated 10% Ethanol (which we all know gives us 10% lower mileage), and it's a brand new engine. I expect to get better mileage when I take my first trip to CA this summer.

-- You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. -- Mark Twain

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Assuming you're talking full sized pick-ups. Here's my personal take and observations. Based on 1988 to 1999 model years. Single rear wheel. More Ford comments cuz that's what I usually end up with.

Chevy. No load to half loaded, runs smooth and sweet.

350 engine. What more can you say? Avoid early Detroit Diesel versions.

Dodge. Cummins Diesel - too cool. Odd electrical accessory issues. Injector issues in early 90's. Not impressed with the suspension with any sort of load. These things really squat down.

Ford. No load to half loaded, you're driving a truck and you know it. (Bounce, slam, thud).

50% to 120% load drives clean and smooth. Twin I-beam front ends give better weight capacity but chew up front tires. Expect 50% normal life out of them. 4.9L straight six will simply NOT die. I know, I've tried. No horsepower, but torque to spare. Around 20mpg with a 5spd. 5.0 and 4.6 are solid runners. 5.8 (351) is a workhorse. Various Navistar Diesels that are decent but change designs from year to year. The 90's E4OD? auto transmission prone to go out every 50-100k miles.

Basically, it depends on your need. If you need a tool crib on wheels that stays fairly heavily loaded, get a Ford. If you'll be running emtpy 90% of the time and only occasionally load it, grab the Chevy. Either will happily haul trailers all day in just about any configuration. I really can't recommend the Dodge with the exception of a dedicated heavy trailer hauler, then that Cummins might sway me.

JT

Reply to
Thren