Most Frugal and Practical Pickup Truck?

I am considering getting my next pickup truck...what is in your opinion the best candidate for a frugal and practical pickup truck?

Thanks

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

A 1958 Landrover diesel with a dropside tray. Frugal - has 4 wheels, 3 seats, sometimes 2 doors - they come (fall) off very easily, sometimes a windscreen - folds flat under heavy braking, canvas roof - rolls back on hot days, engine runs forever on a range of oily substances from diesel to used chip oil from McDonalds.

Has amazing Chick pulling properties - they dont realise you are kidnapping them as they are laughing so much.

Well you did ask.

Reply to
Roger

Too many unanswered questions. Why do you want/need a pickup, whats the biggest load you will carry/tow, whats the max passengers you carry etc.

Domestic pickups are pretty price competitive given the market.

If can fit your needs, the Ford Ranger is being heavily discounted as its discontinued. Good on gas. I've rented one and it was fine.

Of course you know that pickup brands are a dangerous territory becuase people have life long prejudicies. My father grew up with Chevies and will never have anything else. My brother has driven Fords since 1980. Neither would buy a Dodge. Pickups tend to gather long term loyalties.

James

Reply to
James

Capacity here and now always beats capacity sitting at home waiting for you to go back, hook it up and tow it out to where you just were.

Have you actually looked? I've just been looking around for an idea of the cost to get a complete near match to my current truck to use as a long term parts donor. Looking on ebay and trader online I was able to find a dozen likely vehicles within 250 miles ranging from about $2k-$6k depending on specs. If I wasn't searching only for a manual the results would have been 10x that or more. As for the price, this is for a '96-'98 1T 4x4 dually pickup with a 454 engine, and that range covered from a base regular cab dually pickup up through one with a utility body and 35' range aerial lift.

Exactly. Little reason for brand loyalty, the big three are pretty comparable, at least for the 3/4T and 1T models.

Reply to
Pete C.

I did well with my 1970 chev 1 ton I bought for $700 many years ago. Lots of rust, still runs and has hauled a bull weighing close to a ton ;)

nick hull

1987 Nissan Hardbody, bought mine for $1100...needs a paint job but that's all. Still see ton's of those being driven by the "lawnmowers" out there, too.
Reply to
Seerialmom

The thing to look for is 2WD and a stick shift. Nothing kills the resale value of a pickup like 2WD and stick shift. Most people don't really need 4WD and automatics are only good if you are going to be doing a lot of towing. Look for a used pickup with those 2 things and the prices will be well below average for the year and make. Oh, those 2 things also make the truck cheaper to maintain and get better fuel economy. Good luck.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Well, 2WD at least. I consider a stick to be a requirement and won't even consider an automatic.

Automatics aren't even good for that, they just overheat and leave you stranded.

Good for the dwindling number of us who know how to drive a stick and why you'd want one.

And more reliable.

Reply to
Pete C.

The "heavies" go cheap when they get some yeares on them because the market is limited. Finding a GOOD 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton is a lot harder, because the market is a LOT larger.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Also makes them a WHOLE LOT harder to find - particularly if you want a "standard cab" too!!!

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

That just covers too, too much ground for a useful answer to be possible.

Frugal, of course, means you want to spend as little as possible on the truck and gas for it. So you want the smallest available engine, two wheel drive, and the rubber-floormat version.

It's when you dial in "practical" that things get rough.

In my case, my first concern is I want to be able to do my own repairs. There's nobody like Chrysler for being able to do it yourself, so the truck is a Dodge. I've also got a 1990 Toyota pickup (now up in Albuquerque with my daughter) which is the most impossible vehicle I've ever owned to work on. Replacing the PVC valve requires taking off the top half ot the intake manifold, and goes downhill from there....

Second concern was the truck occasionally goes out in the desert, and on those once-in-a-decade snowstorms my county doesn't own a snowplow. 4WD, manual transmission.

Third, need a back seat with room for a couple of dogs, and want a decent bed.

Stir up these ingredients, and my wife and I bought a Dodge Dakota a year ago. So far, I love it.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I've got a 2003 GMC Sonoma. 2WD and a stick ;

Reply to
websurf1

I just bought a 1989 Ford Superduty (F450) flatbed, 5 speed, 7.3 International diesel, dually, with 5x8 flatbed (stake pockets) and

173k on the odo, for $500.

Needs tires and batteries.

So they are out there.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I got a '97 Dakota a couple months ago, with less than 100K on it. I don't know how I ever lived without an air conditioner, or working radio for the last 20 years. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Niiiiice!

If the engine runs at all, it's worth twice that as core, then the transmission...etc.

But it should have near another 200K in it before it needs a rebuild, unless it was abused.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:51:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Your stable has increased exponentially this past year, mon.

I'm hoping to get a couple grand for my old beater.

--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm not questioning that you need a pickup. Some people do. But if you tell us more about why, it will help us define what.

Size is a good place to start. All things being equal a smaller truck uses less gas, but if a small truck won't meet your needs, whats the point.

My dad runs a beater truck fullsize chevy 2 door 2x4, nothing newer than 10 years old. He does have the occasional problem, did have to replace the tranny, but its cheaper in a pickup than almost any other vehicle.

James

Reply to
James

Yah...sigh..but Ive not bought a gun in years, damnit

Reply to
Gunner

That's ok, when you need a semi to move your arsenal you probably have enough :)

Reply to
Pete C.

Humm.....semi? Or just a really big pickup and trailer?

Gunner, jonesing badly for a Marlin 39 lever action 22 and an M1A

Reply to
Gunner