motor controller question

I've managed to blow up a small DC motor and controller board. Yeah! I know. But brain wasn't in gear...!! :-(

The motor was shunt wound, fractional HP.

I have a shunt wound replacement board, but not the right kind of motor.

The usual combination of the wrong gearing or something.

Question is can I hack a shunt wound board so as to drive a series wound motor?

I case it helps, the board is a Penta Power KBIC board. I've considered contacting the manufacturer but I don't think that anyone at the company would want to encourage me to hack up their boards.

Tanks for any help.

DOC

Buy my junk...

doc

I don't think you need to hack anything. Connect the motor to the armature terminals on the KBIC and ignore the field connections, which is the way you connect a PM motor to a KBIC. The speed regulation will be awful to non-existent, but that'll be true of a series wound motor any way you connect it, unless you have some sort of feedback.

By the way, KB supplies troubleshooting and repair directions for their drives. If one fails, it's more often than not the output SCRs.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

so, why not repair the controller? generally the triacs (or SCRs) take the fall, maybe a driver or two

Reply to
Bill Noble

I did try this but the motor barely turned. And the voltage reading across the terminals was almost nill.

Haven't blown one up yet. Maybe that's the next step! :-)

Tanks, DOC

Reply to
doc

That was plan A. But I had some spare Penta Power boards. And since this project has been weighing upon me for TOO long now...

Tanks, DOC

Reply to
doc

How about a DC treadmill motor - and, what model KBIC? /mark in BC

Reply to
Mark F

Are you sure the drive and motor are both good? What's the HP resistor installed in the KBIC -- it's the big plug-in power resistor with a HP rating printed on its side.

Other random confounding possibilities: IR compensation, MAX speed, and current limit pots inhibit terminals must not be jumpered

BTW, a lamp dimmer or plain old rheostat will control the speed of a series wound motor. The KBIC doesn't differ too much from the lamp dimmer, except it monitors the motor's back EMF (KB calls it IR compensation) to improve speed regulation, which I don't think will do much for the speed regulation of your motor. But I wouldn't expect a series wound motor to confuse the drive to the point that it wouldn't run the motor at all.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Uh... Brain disfunction again!!

I've got one of each.

KBIC 240 DS and KBIC 240 D

DOC

On Jun 4, 6:51=A0am, Mark F wrote: ...

If I can find one. Gonna take a look at a lawn mower motor. Also if I can find one.

DOC

Buy my junk...

doc