Motor oil

I have a 2013 Silverado with the 5.3 and 4,500 miles. I am wondering what is the best motor oil? Not just guessing, are there studies that are not biased that indicate one is better than the other?

My truck requires "special" oil is what someone told my father who has an identical truck. However, I think he may be referring to the "dexos 1" designation GM requires for their vehicles. I am not sure.

Also, does anyone know what the recommended weight is for this vehicle?

I appreciate it!

Reply to
stryped

Wrong question to start -- it doesn't matter what is best (for some nebulous definition of "best"); what matters is whether the oil you use meets the GM spec's to maintain warranty if needed.

GM-branded oils are Mobil-1 if you care to know...I've not looked to see how many others have bothered to get the certification; it's cheaper to get the service deal from the dealership than I can buy oil and filters for if count anything at all for the time and bother so just let them do it...

See the owners' manual to confirm but I'm certain the spec is 5W-30 for everything except extreme cold operation that will allow 0W-30 for like

-20F outside temps.

Reply to
dpb

The best motor oil is the one you change on a regular basis.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

No "best oil" exists. You use the oil that meets the spec. for the engine in both weight and type.

In this case it's 5W-30 that meets the Dexos 1 standard. There are a LOT of them.

Steve W.

stryped wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

RTFM -- what does the owner's manual say? Sheesh.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No, no, no. He meant "to drink", Jon.

(Just plonk him, will ya?)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The Bob's your oil guy web site has a forum that goes on and on.

"What is the best oil?" is an open ended question that can be talked about for hours.

The best deal for me is whatever the wife brings home from Costco. That used to be Chevron Supreme 5W-30W. Now I am getting Mobil 1 5W-20W.

These new vehicles are getting better fuel economy by being designed for thin oils.

They are recommending different oils depending on how many miles you have on your engine.

Reply to
clark

It's a brand new truck. You should have the owner's manual. What does it say????

Reply to
clare

I tried really hard not to hit the reply button, I really did!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Mobil-1 has long been my go-to oil for pretty much everything that takes oil from my lawn mower to diesel tractor to gas and diesel trucks. I've never had any sort of oil related issue with any of them, and for my diesel truck I do UOA (Blackstone) at every oil change and the reports are always very good (better than most posted for the same engine).

Reply to
Pete C.

We buy oil in 55-gal drums from local farmers' co-op for all the work trucks/tractors/combines/swather/sprayer/... For over 30 years everything ran on one universal "Circle-3" for everything except the old Chevy trucks that were spec'ed back then for single-weight 20/20. Circle-3 was/is a multi-purpose formulation, meeting diesel engine requirements as well as requirements for tractor/transmission/hydraulic systems. It is Designated an STOU (Super Tractor Oil, Universal) fluid. We also routinely run OAP--if done, Circle-3 guaranteed no engine failures or covered rebuild/repair if did occur. Never had any. The old JD 4440 that's the loader tractor is a '79 and has been on it since brand new and still uses none between hourly changes. When the last barrel of it is gone, however, I'll switch over to reduce inventory hassles.

Unfortunately, with the advent of the low-sulfur and now diesel-emission requirements, it no longer is rated sufficient for newer diesels so we now have gone to the Deere Plus-50 that extends change intervals since almost everything other than the vehicles on the place is green...

The light trucks and cars are all now back to GM so as noted, they're all done at the dealer since the time is better spent elsewhere so they're all on the GM-branded Mobil. While still had the Chrysler 300 it went there, too...cuz' the local MoPar dealer doesn't have a "quik-lube" special; they treat as regular shop hourly rates so are at least double the price. Which is why at least part of why there are no Rams on the place, too... :)

Reply to
dpb