Motorcycle rims dented?

Have a number of dented off road bike rims. Need to get them straight if possible. Anyone have an idea of how to do this successfully?

kenny

Reply to
kenny

Any reason why you don't just get new rims laced on to your hubs (assuming steel rims here)? My understanding is that the rims are usually standard items while the hubs are specific to the bike.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Next time buy Excel rims. Never got any of them dented. For now, use a nylon hammer.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

Steel rims can be squeesed back into shape - well nearly back into shape. A pair of long handle pliers can be used, but it depends on where the ding on the rim is. If the ding os on the outside of the rim and not on the inside its impossible to fix - just live with it. I'd also say that any ding that has caused the chrome to break away from the surface is probably deep enough to have caused the metal to become suspect - send off to the rubbish tip.

Alloy rims are always consigned to the rubbish dump. Reworking the alloy rims makes them brittle. BMW produced some lovely brittle rims back in the early 1980s, hitting a pothole was enough to crack them.

Reply to
Roger & Lorraine Martin

1) place wheel flat on bench. 2) place new rim on top of old rim. 3) transfer spokes from old rim to new rim. 4) true, reinstall tire.

Done.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I doubt that you have _ever_ done it that way!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

LOL

Most times when I'm putting new rims on, it's on an older wheel, so I use a specialty tool to remove the spokes.

A pair of large diagonal cutters.

This is often easier than trying to unrust all the nipples, and they usually wind up rounded off anyhow.

So most times in something like that there's a new rim, new SS spokes, and new nipples involved. As a side benefit, a wheel made with new components like that practically trues itself on assembly.

Just remember to measure the dish offest on the old wheel before taking it apart!!

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Why? Read what you have written in steps 2+3. :-) The new rim will anymore lay on the old rim, as soon as you move the first spoke. Place it over, remove, place it over, remove, ...

Your verbose description is the way to do. Throw old spokes and nipples away. But don't forget to count the crossings in the spokes _before_. :-))

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller