Mounting a metal shear

I just purchased the Enco 8 inch plate shear. I need to mount it onto something otherwise when you pull on the handle the shear tilts forward and you loose the leverage to cut things. I like to keep the shear portable...Has anyone found a way to do this. The shear has four mounting holes. I started to build a small stand for it....but since I got interupted before welding the stand up, I thought I might ask here before I go any further.

Thanks

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

If you have a bench you can clamp it to the bench top with C clamps. I have a hand-operated punch that I do that with, it works OK.

When you do build a table for it (if you do) then make sure you screw it to a wall. Really stabilizes things. Also, think about designing the capability for stops, fence, etc. so you can do repetitive work accurately.

Um, if you happen to have a big milling machine sitting around you can use milling clamps to clamp it to one end of the table, should be plenty stable.

I for one would be interested in how well that works out for you.

Grant

Bruce wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
Nicholas Carter

(clip) I like to keep theshear portable (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ I picture a pair of steel rails, say 1/4" x 2", running from the front to the back of the shear, and bolted under the feet at each end. On your bench, you create a pair of slots that those will slide into. The shear will not tilt, but will slide out easily.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

My smaller shear is bolted to a 3' long 2x6. Works on the ground or a bench. The 8" ought to work OK attached to something a bit larger.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Powell

I will post some photos of the mount early next week. But what I ended up doing was mounting the shear to a 2x3 foot plate of metal, then welded some 2 foot long 4inch I-beams to the bottom of this, added a set of wheels to the back of the mount so I can roll it around the shop. My shear is kind of big to be lifting up and down onto my bench or into my vice. It weighs about sixty pounds and has a 44 inch long handle. That was the main problem with puting it on my work bench, the handle is so long, that I can't reach up to pull it down with any leverage when it is on my bench. Now I can roll it to a corner of my shop and by lifting one end, it will sit upright and take up very little space in my shop. The down side is I end up working on the floor.....

Reply to
Bruce