Moving

Yeah, I HEAR you! That move was a real ordeal, I also moved somewhere about that same distance. Now, I have SO MUCH more big, heavy stuff, it is just out of the question.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Every single bin I packed for my move was individually numbered and the contents listed on an inventory document. That inventory document was in hardcopy in multiple locations as well as in soft copy on my laptop so it couldn't get lost.

Reply to
Pete C.

I moved 1,700 miles with no issues, and the 53' semi I packed included:

7,060# Chevy 1T CC DRW pickup 6,300# Yale 3,000# cap forklift 2,000# Bridgeport mill 1,000# Atlas/Clausing lathe 500# Syncrowave 250 TIG welder 60 gal vertical compressor Large tool chest and tool cabinet Shop desk 4'x6' shop work table Many individual tool boxes 5KW gas generator Frame scaffolding collection Two 6' stepladders Riding lawn mower Wood chipper Large refrigerator Large stack washer / dryer Full compliment of office, bedroom, living room, dining room furniture Gun safe File cabinet and a bunch of odds and ends.

All it takes is organization, which is best handled by a you-pack-it type of move.

Reply to
Pete C.

Congratulations!

I did the same thing you are doing a year ago. Falling property values put a house we really liked into reach. Moved from a home in planned subdivision with a HOA from H&*^ to a one acre lot with two, two car garages. Wife got the garden she always wanted, kids got soccer field and dog and I got shop and an open bay for car repair. Well that was the plan- open bay is full of garden stuff..

Old house sold in 4 days. I worked hard to price and time it right.

We moved all the small stuff using a =BE ton truck then hired a mover to move the big stuff. The mover was a friend and we paid him $50 an hour for two guys and truck + equipment. They had no trouble moving the mill-drill and 13 X40 Jet lathe. Movers have some nice specialized equipment for moving big stuff that worked well for the machines. We spaced the move out over two weeks.

Good luck

Reply to
toolbreaker

You are right, all it takes is organization.

Ignoramus20691

Are you familiar with the term "obsessive compulsive"? Those afflicted sometimes use the euphemism "organized".

But, when you REALLY needed to find something, it must have been satisfying.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Bummer.

Did you hire your own house inspector, Ig? They can really pay for themselves in cases like that.

-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, take your time, make sure EVERYTHING is right before you jump!

On the other hand, when you find 'THE PLACE", know that you have to move RIGHT NOW to grab it. My wife and I looked for over a year once we decided to seriously think about moving. I had a small house, although it had "4 bedrooms", they were all full of stuff. Back in 1988 or so, computers were a lot bigger than today, and I couldn't have your USUAL IBM PC, oh no, I had to have a VAX! I also had several other major projects that took up a lot of room. We had a daughter, and my wife was thinking about more. (Little did I know how MANY more she was thinking of!)

Anyway, we did some looking on our own, some with an agent, and a friend of my wife's mom who was an agent showed us something on the order of 130 places. He was too literal, we gave him an area and a price limit, and he stayed strictly in those limits, and we saw a BUNCH of horrible places, some that we were literally afraid would fall down while we were in them! We saw one place that had real promise, and went back to look again. We opened the front door and our agent recoiled in horror. The place was vacant, they had supposedly drained the water system, but didn't leave a faucet open in the basement, water had leaked through the shutoff valve, froze upstairs and then a thaw came, and the ceilings were on the living room floor, and the hardwood flooring had warped and looked like the ribs of a whale skeleton.

Well, finally, the other agent we had looked at a couple houses with called up and said there's this house, it is farther than you wanted to be from work, it is more money that you wanted to pay, but it is a real bargain and won't last long. We signed a contract about 2 hours after seeing it! It had 4 bedrooms upstairs, two in the basement, a HUGE area for my shop, walk-out basement, and otherwise was very attractive to my wife, too. So, after getting a really good education on what was out there, we knew a good deal when we saw it.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

We had been looking for our first house for several months when my wife phoned me while I was out of town, to tell me that she had found a house that she thought I would like and how much she thought I would offer. I told her to make a conditional offer and I would attempt to come home next day to get home next day to confirm it, which I did. When I asked the agent next day, he hadn't presented the offer and thought I should offer more, but I insisted that he proceed and ten minutes latter I owned the house. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Might wanna wait a bit longer:

Robert Shiller the Yale economist and co-founder of the S&P/Case-Shiller home price indexes, dropped this bomb: "There's a substantial risk of home prices falling another 15%, 20% or 25%," he said. That's a stunning enough pronouncement to make house hunters consider putting purchases on hold. And that may not be a dumb move: If prices are near a double dip -- meaning they fell after the bust, rose a bit during recovery and are now heading back down -- there may be better deals ahead.

"There will be differences by market, but generally, you may get a big discount by waiting a year [to buy]," said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, who thinks the price drop will be closer to 10% or 15%.

Best Regards

Tom.

Reply to
azotic