Moving Tree Journeyman Mill - sanity check

Look into the isuzu flatbeds. A real joy to drive. Makes you feel real secure. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:10:39 -0400, the inscrutable "ATP*" spake:

Maybe it's only the large moving van trailers which have the sturdy tiedown posts. I haven't rented a bobtail in a long time, 30 years now. I drove my Olds into one in Phoenix to pull back to CA. It was a good thing, too. The steering coupler broke on the ramp into the truck. I kicked the wheels straight, prayed, and got it in. 'Twas fun installing the coupler while still in the truck when I got home, too. Ah, to be young again...

Yeah, the lowboy types would be perfect for that. I helped move dozens of pieces of heavy medical equipment in LoCal on those things. Baird Gamma Cameras, bone densitometers, etc. Nothing fun like a mill or lathe. ;)

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I don't have experience with big moving vans of that type. I'm thinking more of the typical rental truck or van body under 21,000 GVW. The box truck bodies sometimes have D-rings attached to the sides, but they are only secured to the rather lightweight aluminum U-channel uprights. Some have an aluminum ladder-like channel for strapping, but I think the intention is more to control relatively lightweight or vertically stable loads from shifting laterally.

I haven't rented a bobtail in a long time, 30 years

I put a Chevette in the back of my box truck once. The car didn't make it all the way into the back of the truck via the makeshift ramp, so I had to back up to a tree and use a ratcheting strap to pick up the back end of the car. It was about this time that a detective showed up to check out the whole operation.

Reply to
ATP*

My son and I moved a punch press a couple of months ago. Those things are really top heavy so I strapped the press to the vertical rails of the fork truck.

He drove the fork truck outside and was just starting to lift it to put it on the truck. I told him to hold up a sec while I took the strap off. He'd already lifted the press an inch or so. Of course the vertical rail doesn't raise so the strap was quite tight. I flipped the ratchet open all the way and it let go.

Man did it let go!

Gouged my thumb. Blood splattered all over the place.

So yea Eric, they can store a surprising amount of energy.

Reply to
George

Have you considered having the local flat bed wrecker company make a run out to Lancaster for you? I wonder what they would charge

Gunner

Gunner

I thought about hiring a flat-bed to haul it, but I think the tilting bed would be too difficult to manage with a top-heavy mill. If that thing tips over at my house I'm pretty much screwed...

I was hoping to move this tomorrow, but I haven't been able to find a truck. I was going to try with a big moving van, but no one seems to have one that I could safely tie the mill down in. They're all basically furniture moving trucks...

Does any one know of a place to rent a boom or a flatbed truck around Orange County? Or any place I could rent a Ford F-350 or equivalent? Or any equipment movers that they'd recommend?

Reply to
jpolaski

True. Then again, the trucks aren't supposed to be hit or hit anything.

Hehehe. That must have been interesting.

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm amazed that you can't find a truck to rent. I just called the rental place I used in Washington and they said it was either a Hino (most likely) or an Isuzu. flatbed. These trucks both had 12 foot beds with 10,000 lb capacity. Lots of points to chain to. And chains, rated for the load, are the way to go. Orange County is way more populated than where I live. There must be a truck rental place that has what you want. In fact, I just googled truck rentals in Orange county CA. Here is a truck that will work: $75 rental, $.36 mile, stake bed that will easily handle 3000 lbs. In Buena park. 714-521-5602 ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I've had the need to rent a truck like this, but haven't had any luck finding one in the Chicago area. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough. But can an ordinary person drive one of these? Or do I need a CDL?

Reply to
AL

replying to Koz, Ggg wrote: The thread count for my 325 Journeyman is 10tpi. I can thread a 3/4-10 bolt 1.5" in but it is loose like the diameter is too small. Coincidentally a 13/16 dia. Coarse thread is also 10 tpi. Does anybody know for sure what size the lifting holes on top of the head are? I'm having a very hard time finding any kind of

13/16-10 bolts.
Reply to
Ggg

Maybe the thread is metric. 20mm x 2.5 pitch. Eric

Reply to
etpm

replying to Ggg, Ggg wrote: The thread turned out to be metric, M20-2.50. I mistakenly ordered a 30mm long thread which looked awfully short once I saw them, but they held when the machine was lifted. I would order a 50mm long for a piece of mind if I were to do it again.

Reply to
Ggg

replying to etpm, Ggg wrote: Eric you are correct, thank you.

Reply to
Ggg