Mystery metal

Nope. GM tubes cannot detect alpha particles, even though an alpha can cause ionization. An alpha particle is capable of being stopped by a 5-mil thickness of ordinary paper. Any alpha particles detected by a GM tube originate inside the tube.
The "alpha hits" that memory chips used to be subject to were from alpha particles generated inside the IC package as secondary radiation from gamma hits.
LLoyd
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:01:52 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

The crystals are like $15 on ebay
Gunner

    [ ... ]

    O.K. So much for what I thought.
    Thanks,         DoN.
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:33:10 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scintillation-Radiation-Detector-Plastic-Nuclear-Atomic_W0QQitemZ6262886512QQcategoryZ413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scintillation-Radiation-Detector-Plastic-Nuclear-Round_W0QQitemZ6262886286QQcategoryZ413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZnS-Ag-scintillation-screen-spinthariscope-radiation_W0QQitemZ7600340996QQcategoryZ53154QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Gunner

    [ ... prices of scintillation crystals ... ]

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scintillation-Radiation-Detector-Plastic-Nuclear-Atomic_W0QQitemZ6262886512QQcategoryZ413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scintillation-Radiation-Detector-Plastic-Nuclear-Round_W0QQitemZ6262886286QQcategoryZ413QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZnS-Ag-scintillation-screen-spinthariscope-radiation_W0QQitemZ7600340996QQcategoryZ53154QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Thanks. Now all I have to do is decide whether I really want to build one before the auctions close.
    Or perhaps I should leave them for the one who asked the original questions,
    Enjoy,         DoN.
Don Foreman wrote:

The ones I have worked on at PSU had a DC to DC converter to make the high voltage required for a GM tube. ...lew...
Mine is 3 volt. Doesn't look like much of a HF osc IIRC.
Martin
Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
Don Foreman wrote:

-
My CD V-720 Fallout Detection Meter - Yellow with meter and cool reverse handle - uses two D's for the Ion chamber - and is capable of 0-5, 0-50, 0-500 R/h. Oak Ridge called it a CDV-720 Ion Chamber survey meter -
It is powered up and in standby in the shop. Routinely scan bulk metal that I get because it might come from anywhere - and the scrap for it from anywhere. Some from China. So far so good. Not that I'm really worried - it is just nice to have a toy like this since I was in Physics myself.
Martin
Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
Gunner wrote:

-

You have a War meter, it is not sensitive enough for the task. You need a survey meter to read lower levels.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull wrote:

-
Jim Wilson wrote:

Their the lug nuts off a reverse engineered ufo. Exposure for long periods of time causes hair loss, weight gain and nagging from significant other. May interfere with cell phone reception.
Return to manufacturer address: Skunk Works - Groom Lake Division Nevada, USA
BIG smile
Jim Vrzal Holiday, Fl.
I'd guess the heavy one is one of the tungsten alloys used for weights, some of these are quite hard. Pure uranium is quite soft as I recall (although perhaps DU is alloyed to make it harder).
I second this guess. They make "easy to machine" alloys with copper that are still VERY hard. One company that made tungsten alloys was Kulite, but apparently they sold that business off to H.C. Starck.
Doug White
snipped-for-privacy@carbideprocessors.com wrote...

Interesting info. The piece _is_ magnetic. The flat makes it look like a section of a tool shank, which hints toward a tungsten carbide, too. I also noticed what looks like a laser marking at one end of the flat that I forgot to mention before. It reads "###".

DU? I hope not. Uran has 18.95 g/cm^3
Americum (Am): 13.67 g/cm^3 Berkelium (Bk): 14 g/cm^3 Curium (Cm): 14 g/cm^3 Hafnium (Hf): 13.31 g/cm^3 Mercury (Hg): 13.59 g/cm^3
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de