Name of lathe

Long, long time ago.. I operated a lathe turning turbine outer cases and can't remember the type.

It had a 60" face plate and had no tailstock... We refered to them as T-lathes or stubnose lathes... Is there a common name for these.

Thanks, Jack

Reply to
Jack

They were called "T" lathes..... major manufactures were Lodge & Shipley, Monarch, Niles, and Lucas....

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Thanks, I did a search for T-lathes and got nothing,.. I thought I was getting old and just forgot the name.

I ran one with a tracer unit on it and was thinking it would work great for turning mag wheels for bikes and cars. ( on my budget anyway )

Jack

Reply to
Jack

"chucker" ? I think lathes without tailstocks are called chuckers. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Names do get a bit convoluted. When I think of a facing lathe I think of one of these....

... it has a tailstock...

I have upgraded my firewall software and it appears that blocking the IPs for most of the Pacific Rim and parts of Southern Europe are no longer necessary. It was unbelievable watching the incessant attempts at port sniffing from these geographic IPs.... those people ought to get interested in metalworking or something (anything) else other than trying to break into other people's computers... and remember, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you...

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Actually it was L & S who designated theirs as T Lathes. Monarch used the term Right Angle Lathes. Many used "Face or "Surfacing" lathes.

How about reducing the paranoia on your site?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Heavens! Are you implying that they might.... uh.... exaggerate!!

Aside from that, I can find nothing in my experience nor library that suggests a facing lathe cannot have a tail stock.... a "T" lathe, on the other hand, has no provision for a tailstock... do you have any information to the contrary???

Yes, indeed! A blazingly fast, state of the art, 500Mhz Pentium II. Thus, the paranoia... had the website been on the ISP's server, it would have been "their" problem....

Reply to
Gene Kearns

If it has a tailstock it's not a facing lathe, per se. I hope you don't believe everthing a used car salesman tells you, also? :-)

Am I to take it that you're running your site off your own server?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes

Buy more books.

A "T" lathe is just a Lodge & Shipley lathe designation, not a generic term.

Yes

Too bad..

Tom

Reply to