Nearly free welding setup guides

I just ordered replacements for my worn out TIG setup calculator:

They are nifty and almost free.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I've recommended those many times, they are great for those of us who don't weld frequently enough to have everything memorized.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yeah, they're a very good deal, very handy to have around.

3 calculator slides for $4 total, s/h included. Sucha deal!

-- Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -- John Wayne

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I am always glad that I used their calculator before I turned on the power switch and opened the argon valve.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

But wait Theres More!

The calculators are free on the net:

They are also available free as an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad app:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It's there and it's free:

?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5taWxsZXJ3ZWxkcy53ZWxkc2V0dGluZ3MiXQ..

Reply to
Pete C.

Cool, but not as...

Who the hell uses -those- old things?

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Me!

I used SWMBO's iPad this morning to get TIG settings for my latest project. It worked a treat!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

They beat me to it - and it's only 386Kb, downloads in a flash. And Hey! I have enough machine to get some 98% Argon/2% O2 and play with Spray Transfer!

But at first glance it doesn't translate for you, they need to do a re-write eventually... My Challenger doesn't have meters - Voltage is in steps, and the wire speed dial is just "0-10".

(Yes, one of these days I'll end up with a Big Blue Air-Pak or some such monster, but by the time you load up all the crap you have to carry with it to do real work you need a dedicated Welding Truck or a two-axle trailer with lots of bin space to mount it on. An Enclosed two-axle trailer if you want to keep the stuff from growing legs.)

If I didn't just get a Klein Clamp-Amp that has a 400A DC Amps setting, I'd be totally screwed - but now I can put the Ammeter on the ground lead, pop the hood and clip the Fluke 23-III to the output leads for Voltage, and see what's up.

I'll still have to guess a bit at the wire speed, unless someone has a nifty little Inches Per Minute speedometer for cheap...

Ooooh! I just found a new definition for Beautiful Glorious Overkill: (WARNING: get a bucket before clicking - you could drown in drool.)

The 20 KW 3-Ph at 240V (Deluxe) and 380V (Int'l Deluxe) *AND* 4 KW

120/240V 1-Ph generator output at the same time (and while welding) is just icing on the cake.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

Modified bicycle speedometer? Reed relay takes pulse from a magnet connected to wirefeed roller, calculating RPM or linear velocity..

Reply to
Kristian Ukkonen