need a 12V actuated vacuum solinoid

I am looking to remotely control (Via a 12V DC switch on the control panel) a vacuum solinoid. The solinoid is controlling vacuum to a sensor that sometimes I want to turn on or off. Basically when the 12 volts is at the solinoid, I want it to open and allow vacuum to go to the sensor, then take away the 12 volts and the solinoid closes, and the sensor does not see the vacuum signal. I am thinking this is something someone here has experience with. I need 6 of these for this project, and they need to be resonably priced. Thank you in advance for the kind help, ron

Reply to
rbce2003

Those were pretty common as emissions-control devices on cars in the

1970s.
Reply to
Rex B

Mcmaster Carr has a nice selection. nearly all their solenoids can have the voltage specified.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Like these?

David Courtney

Those are for pressure, > PRESS 0 - 10 kgf / cm

not vacuum.

Reply to
syoung

Gae thee to the junqueyard. Some automotive cruise controls use vacuum solenoids as throttle actuators, and they might also be found in some heater controls.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Even later than that. My 1994 Chevy V8 has one on the EGR valve vac line.

Reply to
Bill Marrs

How low a vacuum are you trying to control? Does the "sensor" line need to go to atmospheric pressure when the solenoid is closed?

An ordinary electrically operated solenoid valve will work for this if we aren't talking about really low vacuums, say less than 36" of water. But if you need the "sensor to go to atmospheric pressure you need a fancier valve.

Reply to
jlevie

Good tips, and very good responses fellas! THANKS!

most would be maybe 10" HG or so

No, the way I have it plumbed, I would be very happy if it just opened and closed, the rest will be fine. GOOD QUESTIONS! sounds like you have been there, done that.

Keep the suggestions coming folks, they are really great!

ron

Reply to
rbce2003

My F250 has a valve called a Pulse Vacuum Solenoid that is a controller allowing vaccum to the front hubs for 4WD engagement. It's operated by

12volts and opens and closes according to the switch on the dash. Costs about $45 at Ford. If you're interested, I could find a part number for you.
Reply to
Gary Brady

You need a solenoid with 3 ports-source, apply, and dump. Many '80's automotive emission control applications. Example:

86 Subaru EGR solenoid. Vents device to atmosphere when off, applies vacuum to device when > I am looking to remotely control (Via a 12V DC switch on the control
Reply to
JR North

Thats an important question not knowing the exact application. Often your typical "pressure" selenoids will work in one direction with vacuum but not the other, so you might want to try some out.

Are regular toggle switch style AIR switches and option ? If you can run the vacuum lines directly to the remote panel, there are AIR toggle switches. I have used them for vacuum jigs, but these too will want to work better one direction than the other.

I believe you can find them in Mcmaster Carr... If not, try your local peterbuilt of kenworth dealer..... They have plenty of AIR switches on the dah !

Grummy

Reply to
grumtac

In that case most any small 12v solenoid valve will work. Page 417 of McMaster Carr's online catalog

shows a small 12v valve that would probably work.

Reply to
jlevie

Look at this:

Richard J Kinch

Clippard makes several styles of bat-handle toggle air switches - the slick one is the 3-way that is perfect for dashboard control of air shocks, air springs, etc. Center closed, up for fill, down for vent. Available in all momentary or detent hold, and with flow adjust screws or not.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On 19 Sep 2006 12:08:23 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com quickly quoth:

Ron, you might have better luck searching if you spell "solenoid" correctly. ;) Try Burden Sales at

or some electronics places like Mouser Electronics
. I didn't see any of those at GunnerWorld(tm) when I was down there a couple months ago, but he might know where to find some.

------------------------------------------ Friends don't let friends read "Wired"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Turn valve around.