aluminum available

If anyone is interested, I have a lot of aluminum scrap available in dropoff block form from our saw room. I run a large commercial machine shop (120,000 sqft) and we have been setting back scrap for years. Instead of sending it to the scrap yard, I thought I'd make it available to different newsgroups for home shops and small shops. I have all kinds of aluminum... most with certification numbers because

90% of our work is military aircraft. I also have titanium if anyone is interested. I have all sizes, from flat stock 1" x 3" x 144" to large blocks 6" x 8" x 12". I've probably got over a million pounds all together. I can also saw if needed.

This is an experiment... my initial price range would be about 75% of current raw materials prices, possibly less, depending on the circumstances. I can email pictures of what I have if you give me a range.

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to
Rick

And where are you located? In Texas?

Ignoramus4143

Rick, if you are selling at just 25% discount from original cost, then I would not make a penny on reselling it through whatever transformation I performed due to cost of freight, handling and the like. You might be better off just selling it to the local recycling facility.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Reply to
Rick

My intention is to sell direct to small shops, not really to a reseller. You're right. It would not make a lot of sense for a reseller to get involved. I'm in the middle of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. My original thought is that small shops would want to come out and take my excess at a discount instead of buying from the big suppliers. There are a lot of shops in this area. They can save money and I can get better than scrap value for my stock. Plus anyone dealing in aircraft can take advantage of the certifications. I currently sell about $120,000 a month in scrap aluminum pucks and titanium chips. What I'm offering here is geared to a shop looking for discount prices on aluminum.

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

Reply to
Rick

Since you are top posting, so will I.

Back when Rohr Industries was a leader in aircraft nacelle design and manufacturing here in Chula Vista with some 12,000 employees... the company set up a Saturday salvage yard sale that fed hundreds of local shops doing business with them on a regular basis. Rohr would scrap out or salvage material, tools, jigs, fixtures, machines, printers... anything worth tossing out the door. We local shops and independents would come in on Saturday and scrounge the scrapyard for treasures. Hundreds and hundreds of jobs were created from this arrangement. I still have shafts and bearings from an old blueprint repro machine I'm using in prototyping robotic devices and the like.

Think about offering one of your supervisors the chance to make a few extra bucks on Saturday. Spend some cash on bins and displays for your salvage materials. Post pricing information so the scroungers can get a feel for what they will be paying as they leave the yard. The word will spread if the prices are right and the smile on your supervisor's face is real.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

"Rick" wrote in news:1158701610.621159.148040 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I think what you are trying to do Rick is a great thing. You should post this over on alt.machines.cnc also. There are a lot of small shop folks who would most likely take advantage of this generous offer.

Reply to
Anthony

Reply to
TheAndroid

Damn.

It's a shame I'm on the other side of the planet.

Reply to
Lionel

Reply to
TheAndroid

Sounds a lot like Boeing Surplus in Seattle. One giant warehouse with everything from a toolroom with endmills up to

2" diameter, all the way to ma> Since you are top posting, so will I.
Reply to
woodworker88

I have a lot of souvenirs like this to sell. For example, a mill for horizontal mills to make slits. 5" diameter, 5/8" slit width, about 1

5/88" shank. Let me know if you want that one, same price as what you paid at Boeing surplus. i

Reply to
Ignoramus11682

Keller actually. There's a Mid-Cities HSM group that meets next on Sept 30. Not sure if I'll make it, but someone ought to share this info with them.

Rex

Reply to
Rex B

You are welcome to post this or pass the information along... anyone local can email me and I'll give directions. You can come over and hand pick material. As was mentioned, I may just open up the yard one saturday morning and have a yard sale.

as far as top posting... I'm not experienced on the message boards. Please bear with me.

Rick TheAndroid wrote:

Reply to
Rick

I knew that. Yea, my wife, Morgan Fairchild told me.....

Hey, where and when is that meet> TheAndroid wrote:

Reply to
TheAndroid

Thanks for taking time to post and make the materials available.

This can mean a lot to a HSM on a tight budget.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee