Need advice - Fishing line winder ideas

I'm thinking about a small project, a fishing line winder for filling and stripping line from reels. Most stores have them, but I haven't really studied them yet. Does anyone have any ideas as to electrical requirements? Looking at McMaster catalog, I see a foot pedal that is supposed to control fractional hp AC motors. Would this be a good method, or would I need a DC motor? I suspect that there is a plan out there for building such a device. I have no desire to re-invent the wheel, so if anyone has ideas or a link to a plan, thanks in advance. Gary Hastings

Reply to
garyh82012

Since this is rec.metalworking, the first thing you need is a lathe....

Reply to
Rex B

When you have a lathe and a mill, every project looks like a steam engine...

Anywhoooo.... How about if you scrounge a motor and controller off of an old sewing machine? Your friendly local sewing machine dealer will probably sell you one off a scrap machine cheap...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Chuck something up in a hand drill. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Yup. You can also find old sewing machines at Goodwill and at garage sales.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The winders I've seen had a helical shaft with follower to wind the line onto the spool level. No more than they cost, I don't know why you'd want to make one. At the very least, buy one as a pattern for a better one.

Reply to
Rex B

Mine doesn't. I just guide the line with my fingers. But my spools are small freshwater tackle, not big saltwater gear.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
Tom Wait

If you load the spool on a spinning reel by winding it on, you get a lot of twist in the line. It's better to wind the spool like loading thread on a bobbin. I use my lathe.

Baitcasting reels can be loaded by just winding on the line. They're the ones with the bidirectional helical levelwind mechanisms.

Reply to
Don Foreman

"Don Foreman" wrote

I knew that, I was just kicking the cage. I use my lathe also. But if your machinery challenged (no lathe) and you need to wind on to a spinning reel, let the line come of the big spool the way it goes on the reel. Lots less twist that way. Then when you go fishing, troll long with a swivel and a big floating lure and the twist goes away. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait