How best to hang aircraft model?

I'd like to know what is the best way to hang up a plastic aircraft model. It's a 1:72 model of a Dash 8. I've got a hook on the ceiling that it can hang from. What's the best way to do it?

Thanks. Petre

Reply to
Petre Huile

Fishing line is a good way, I used to use drawing pins into the ceiling & paint the tops the same colour.

Cheers

Nige

Reply to
The Incredible Swearing Man©

New cotton thread, wet and stretched till dry, then form a hangmans noose on one end, place around the fuselage with the knot behind the left fwd door, a drop of about 6-8 scale ft should be enough to snap the fuselage and it would feel no pain.

Wait a min, that is the wrong type of hanging, I knew I was watching too much of the western channel. Please dissreguard the above post, unless you are sure it is guilty and has had a fair trial........... Matt Gunsch, A&P,IA,Private Pilot Riding member of the Arizona Precision Motorcycle Drill Team GWRRA,NRA,GOA

Reply to
N329DF

I used to build models with the fishing line embedded between the fuselage halves as close as possible to the model's center of gravity. Of course, these models could never be displayed on a table but I had a great line up of planes in my window then.

Oh, I'd also trap modelling clay in one of the wings, nose, or tail, depending on what pose I was looking for. It was great fun.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

From Petre:

Reply to
Charles Ryan

By the neck...........

Seriously though I have a few aircraft hanging from a single 6 pound fishing line strung across my study/office/modelling room. I use 2 pound line to hang them from the mainline. Some have just 2 loops and other 3 - by making the loops different lengths they can be positioned at different banks or angles to show off the interesting bits (or hide the bad bits). Friction is usually good enough to hold them in whatever position you desire and the bumps like engine nacelles or underwing stores make sure they won't slip out.

Reply to
Brian Kucks

All the above advice is good, but what I do first is hang the model from a piece of plyboard, at my bench, so I can affect the illusion of what I want the model to be doing... diving, climbing, banking, straight and level.. ect...get all the 'threads' cut and tried to my liking...before going up on the ladder and futzing about. Saves back, neck pains and time as well! Mike IPMS

Reply to
Michael Keown

I used to hang them this way as well, but use 3 anchor points into the ceiling so the model wont swing around a lot because of A/C or heating pushing air around the ceiling.I used to use small nails into the acoustical ceiling. One line around the nose and one line on each of the wings going to 3 separate nails. Steve

Reply to
SMarsh3807

I hung a few from the ceiling, then found that I preferred to hang them nose-up on the wall. I noticed a significant reduction in dust collecting on the planes.

Sean

I used to hang them this way as well, but use 3 anchor points into the ceiling so the model wont swing around a lot because of A/C or heating pushing air around the ceiling.I used to use small nails into the acoustical ceiling. One line around the nose and one line on each of the wings going to 3 separate nails. Steve

Reply to
Sean

I can tell you what NOT to use! Some years ago I had noticed a moth clinging to the string I hung a P-51 model with when it broke before my eyes and crashed to the floor. I'm guessing the moth "ate" the cotton thread. Sooo, nothing but fishing line for me!

Ken F.

Reply to
WymanV

True... suprisingly, the pins with the large plastic ][ shaped heads do quite nicely on lighter models. Just pay attention to where the heavy end is... I've gotten to where I'll normally rest the wheels between two of those (per wheel) and "reinforce" with some sort of line or thread. Some nose-up, some nose-down. (Don't trust doing it on most nose gear.)

Reply to
EGMcCann