Seeking advice on how to hang fabric covered display models of WW1 aircraft

I'm about to get 2 Historic Aviation display models... the Fokker Eindecker III...24 3/4 inch wingspan and the Fokker DR 1...18 1/2 inch wingspan.

I'd rather not drill any holes through the fabric.

Any advice on options for hanging these models.

At $140-$180 each delivered, I can't afford an accident!

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Corporal Leoce

Reply to
Corporal Leoce

Personally, I'd advise against hanging them at all. Depending on the vantage point, you'd only be able to see the underside of the models, and maintenance is a chore. Over time, dust and various crap will stick to the rigging and it's a pain to keep clean.

I'd recommend having cases built to house the models, and display them as they would be seen on the ground. Maintenance is simplified greatly, and you can see down on the models, which is ultimately more interesting then the view up.

That being said, it's just my personal opinion and nothing more than that. Good luck and congratulations on the models' acquisitions. It sounds ultra-cool.

--- Stephen Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

How about using loops of strong fishing line? If you make a large loop and double it over, one end can go under the nose, and the under under the tail. Pick up the middle of the loop and the model will naturally move to the point where it's suspended evenly. You can then hang the fishing line over a hook in your ceiling. I've hung the Heller 707 and AMT XB-70 using this method and they stayed up there for years.

Reply to
Jessie C

I use the fishing line method for all my models. If the aircraft is large enough to need support on the wings as well as the fuse ( like the 1/72 B-52), I set the plane on the table and use a continuous loop of line for all four points. I hold on to the end of the line and start at the "hook" location above the model, then I run a loop down around the nose and back up to the "hook". ( I use my finger as the hook to loop the line over) Then I just run the line down to the wingtip and back up to the "hook". Repeat for the tail and then the other wing. Cut the line when you finally get back to the "hook" after the last loop and tie it off to the other end. This will leave all the loops free to move and adjust to even out the tension to all four ends of the model. It also makes it easier to have the model in a bank or dive/climb and not be in fear of it landing on the floor, and keeps those long thin wings from drooping over time.

Reply to
Zack