Jet Aircraft display diorama

Has anyone built anything like this? Today I bought the Airfix 1/48 Red Arrows Hawk (always wanted to build a Hawk) the decals seem to include the tail numbers for the full display team ... at under £10 this kit seems good value, would be easy to buy 1 or 2 more and possibly create some kind of diorama. I haven't hung a scale model from the ceiling since I was around 6 or 7, but maybe this would work in my spare room that I have now started to use for my fresh start on model building. Coloured smoke would seem to be the most difficult part for me to model, have seen jet smoke in a diorama before though. If I do this, it would be no more than 3 Red Arrow Hawks doing one of their close manoeuvres. Something like a snapshot seen here ...

Or here.

Has anyone modelled or seen anything like this displayed, links would be appreciated.

Well, if you thought a 1/48 scale Hawk display team diorama was ambitious ... recently while surfing, I found *I think* on the Japanese Tamiya web site, a soon to be announced version of the new 1/32 F16 in Thunderbirds markings, doubtless this would include decals for all the team ... LOL, who will be the first going to build a team of 1/32 Thunderbirds F16 display aircraft? Sorry, for the life of me I cant find that link again? it was mentioned as coming soon, maybe Tamiya pulled the plug on this, maybe the Tamiya 1/32 F16 is not selling too well?

Oh well, good to be back in scale aircraft modelling again, still have all my old kits from 10 years ago when I got side tracked with other interests, busy modelling ahead.

Cheers.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Hi Colin, I use cotton wool teased out into a coloured smoke shape which is supported by a flexible wire shaft, the wire can support the model. For the white wing tip trails again thin wire is effective. Brian Boot

Reply to
Brian Boot

As for the 'smoke', Brian's tech is the way to go. I posted a pic on alt.binaries.models.scale which shows the result. Built the dio 10 yrs (?) ago.

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEatt.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

Colin,

try to get a hold of this book, for examply via bookfinder:

The title cover shows an in flight display Boyer built of all the different aircraft the Blue Angels flew, and in one of the last chapters he describes how he went about doing it. Sonunds like it is similar to your idea.

Martin

Reply to
100450.3563