Saab JAS39 Gripen

Does anyone know of a 1:48 scale kit of this? I have seen that Italieri and Revell (Germany) have a 1:72 kit. Are these the same? Has anyone tried them? They have to be relatively new tooling as this plane only reached the flying prototype stage in December 1988.

-- _________________ Norman Lever Melbourne, Australia _________________

Reply to
Norman Lever

The Italeri and currently available Revell of Germany kits are the same. The kit is typical of Italeri's efforts in the last few years, a bit soft but otherwise rather nice. Beware that Revell had 1/72 and 1/32 kits out in the early 90's that were completely different and had only a passing resemblance to the real thing. I don't believe that there has ever been a 1/48 scale kit released of the Grippen. Perhaps Italeri will get around to it in due course.

John Benson ------------------------ IPMS El Paso Web Guy

John Benson

Sorry, no 1/48 scale kit is available of this airplane (yet?) Only option is a display model, typically of wood. I have seen some from Malaysia, IIRC. The 1/72 kit from Airfix, Italeri, Revell (new edition) and Tamiya are your only options as far as an accurate JAS-39 Gripen is concerned.

Pretty much same plastic (some weapons options differ), decals differ. Tamiya is the Italeri kit reboxed.

Sten Sundelin

Reply to
Sten

One built 1/48 Gripen here:

-- Björn Bäcklund, IPMS Stockholm, Sweden

------------------------------- Welcome to "The 72 scale page", a home for small scale modelling.

Björn Bäcklund