Submarine Diorama

All, I have 3 submarine models in 1/700 scale and I want to do a waterfront/pier diorama. Finding the correct scale materials for this has proved difficult. I thought of using model railroad stuff as part of it. What railroad scale corresponds to this? And does anybody know where a source of good material for this scale including figures.

Thanks Jeff Muniz

Reply to
Jeff

I think you are looking at scratchbuilding what you need.

Reply to
bluumule

Wouldn't that mean removing the bottom two thirds of the models, unless they're in dry dock?

None. The smallest commercial scale is Z-gauge which is 1/220th.

The smallest I've ever seen are quarter inch wargaming figures which correspond to around 1/600th and they were not available individually, only in fixed formations.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Eduard make 1/700 naval figures .I know that Hannants here in the UK sell them.

Reply to
Mick

Model railroad stuff doesn't even come close. The smallest that's commercially available is Z scale = 1/220.

Gold Medal Models makes a set of photo-etched figures in 1/700 scale:

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

No railway scale is anywhere near that small. Skywave to the rescue:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Ebay:

Medal Models:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 7/30/2007 12:20 PM kim said the following:

All the 1/700 ships I have are waterline models.

Reply to
willshak

Perhaps also a firm called Skytrex, although I've not been able to ascertain its web presence. Although primarily catering for wargamers, they produce nice (but pricey) metal 1:700 warships under the brand name "Meridian". ISTR an advert (probably in "Wargames Illustrated") for accessories for some of these, which included railway trains, tanks, etc. This was quite a while ago, and I don't know the current production status. I'm only hoping my decrepit brain isn't confusing it with some 1:600 or 1:1200 range... :(

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

I'm only hoping my decrepit brain isn't confusing it with some 1:600

Aaargh - it was! Triton 1:600 range... Sorry!

Reply to
Moramarth

on 7/30/2007 12:11 PM Jeff said the following:

At 1/700 scale, a 6" tall figure would be about 1/10th of an inch. There is no way you could model anything with any detail at that scale unless you were able to model at the molecule level.

Reply to
willshak

I found it, and it has a subsidiary called Triton that does dockyard accessories, but unfortunately they are in 1/1250 scale:

White Ensign Models does 1/700th scale dockyard accessories:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

They're done with photoetch; if you are lucky, they are prepainted. If you're not...well, let's hope you have good eyesight, a tiny paintbrush, and a lot of patience. The trick is going to be superglueing them to the scene. Because there's a very good chance that they are going to end up superglued to you or your tweezers. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

on 7/30/2007 7:34 PM Pat Flannery said the following:

I'll have to see a PE figure 3/32" tall to believe it.

Reply to
willshak

Would not a waterline model of a submarine be a contradiction in terms?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

on 7/31/2007 8:43 AM kim said the following:

I don't know if that was a humorous comment or not, but if not, the answer is No. Waterline does not necessary mean that the ship has a painted waterline, but when afloat, the limit of water displacement. Aoshima, Hasegawa, and Tamiya, for example, have a lot of 1/700 waterline ship model in their "Water Line Series", which includes submarines.

down and look for Water Line in the Series category.

Reply to
willshak

(waves magic wand) And so you shall:

Pat :-)

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Thanks for that, those are the first ones I've seen. I just wanted us to be clear the original poster was asking about submarines and not about surface vessels.

(kim)

Reply to
kim