Market research question #2

Market research question #2.

Also posted to alt.machines.cnc for people doing prototype and maintenance work.

How much interest exists out here for plans and/or "kit" of materials [rough cut to length bar stock, fasteners, pins] to construct a fixture to generate involute profile gear cutters using the arc approximation method show in "Gears and Gear Cutting" by Ivan Law ISBN 0-85242-911-8 [and on the web]

Involute form tools would be finish ground from a rough ground HSS lathe tool blank [3/16 or ¼ square] eliminating the need for home heat-treating, and allowing the use brazed carbide E tools or 5/10% cobalt blanks if desired.

Custom DP/module and/or pressure angle gears could also be generated with some calculations and modification [new holes] to the pivot plate.

My thought is to hold the rough ground tool bit in a fixture between centers on a lathe, and use a 1/8 shank miniature/pencil die grinder to generate the required radius, and trim to exact length. [Dremel type tools should also work] Radial relief only would be generated by locating the cutter below center when form grinding and on center when cutting.

Most suitable for 1.5mm module / 20DP and smaller gears but could easily be scaled up.

No threat to Barber-Coleman or Fellows, but when you gotta' have it cheap [or yesterday] it's an option.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

None, because I'm building that for my shaper. :-) Albeit, I'm stuck in other things. Basically it works already.

BTW: Got a _damned_ nice book about the Bilgram's conical gear shaper. Printed 1905, format is bigger than legal, 135 pp., an incredible load of detailed drawings, tables and descriptions of the manufacturer (J.E. Reinecker / Chemnitz / Germany). Costed me 55.- EUR, I have seen that book for 150.- EUR. It's the nicest book I have ever bought (and it is not my second one). Drawback: It's in German. ;-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

============ Dies ist nur Problem, wenn Sie Deutsch nicht lesen.

Unka' George (George McDuffee) .............................. Only in Britain could it be thought a defect to be "too clever by half." The probability is that too many people are too stupid by three-quarters.

John Major (b. 1943), British Conservative politician, prime minister. Quoted in: Observer (London, 7 July 1991).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

OK, you are halfway qualified. Really an incredible book! You can order it at *) The title is "Bilgram's Kegelrad-Hobelmaschine" by "Prof. Pregel". You won't be disappointed,

*) "Zentrales Verzeichniss Antiquarischer Bücher". Most dealers ship worldwide. There are also dealers sitting in the USA or UK and do have English titles. Anyhow, a good source for used books!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller