Need books suggestions

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Sun, 29 Apr 2007 04:52:45 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I found that I need to have two different books running Or rather, I'll get into a particular subject, and for relaxation, read something else. Currently I'm swotting up Orthodoxy. talk about paradigm shifts without a clutch! So for relaxation I'm reading Beevor's _The Battle for Spain_ - about the Spanish Civil War. And the events leading up to it. Bad news, I see many parallels between the 1930s and the last 20 years. The good news, I don't see the support for a radical change in the government as there was in Spain in the 1930s, either way.

That's good too. I wish I could recall where my copy of The Lone Wolf went.

pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

That book sits on my shelf between the Hon. Elmer Keith and the Hon. Col. Hatcher.

Another good suggestion.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote on 29 Apr 2007 04:25:22 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Oh gad, I forgot about them. 'and he performed a Mitsubishi Toyota, the "outboard propeller stroke" ..."

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote on 29 Apr 2007 00:50:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Laura Hamilton has the Anita Blake "Vampire Executioner" series. Anita starts out as a pretty good animator (she raises zombies for a living.) and gets approached to find out who is killing the Vampires of St Louis. Can't just do that with out a warrant, but well, the mistrust still goes both ways. I love the opening line tot he first one: "Willie McCoy had been a jerk before he died. His being dead didn't change that." It gets a bit odd :-P, vampires, vampire politics, werewolf strippers, were leopard boyfriends, wererat reporters, vampires who think they are Aztec deities, crazy humans, lawyers and elves. Plus all the usual factional politics. And Edward. He's the sort of guy who can give a girl just what she needs: shortbarreled shotguns loaded with silver shot. Body armor for the short and buxom. Mini-Uzi's with mushroom clips full of hollow point silver bullets. Did I mention the boyfriend who was a Jr High Science teacher?

And then it gets weird ... :-)

I don't read the"horror" genre, but I got slipped one of these, and was hooked.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Everything Douglas Adams ever wrote.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Hummmm..I see my reading list just got much larger....

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

Marvelous stuff!!

Gunner

"I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub.

-- Grover Norquist

Reply to
Gunner

The Mote in God's Eye

Lucifer's Hammer

King David's Spaceship

To name a few...

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Darn you... Now I'll have to dig them up from the bookshelf (900+ SF&fantasy) and re-read them, and I had just put in a catch up order for Marion Zimmer (Bradley) and L. E. Modesitt Jr.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

To stop the thread from drifting too far off topic, I would suggest "Machine Shop Trade Secrets" by James A Harvey, same general themes as Lautard, but different tips and perspectives. Connelly is excellent, Moltrecht (I + II) are quite reasonable. Possibly a new book "How (not) to paint a locomotive" by Christopher Vine might be of interest if you have any interest in making exhibition class models or reconditioning machine tools.

To stop the thread from going too on topic, The S. M. Stirling "Dies the fire" and sequels are mandatory. The Recluse series by L. E. Modesitt Jr. hold blacksmiths and engineers in high esteem. Possibly "Trustee from the Toolroom" by Neville Shute (don't know yet, that one gets delivered on Tuesday).

The Pratchet diskworld series is required to keeps one's sense of proportion under control.

I don't know how I find time to go to work...

Happy reading Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:09:25 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com quickly quoth:

I picked up a copy of Rand's _Atlas_ last month but haven't gotten into it yet. I'm enjoying reading G. Gordon Liddy's _Will_ right now, after finishing the last few volumes by Andre Norton last month.

For a fun diversion, try anything by Christopher Moore. YOu'll be in tears within minutes. --- In Christianity, neither morality nor religion comes into contact with reality at any point. --FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 01:36:02 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com quickly quoth:

I soaked up every novel by both recently, then got into Andre Norton after her death.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 06:05:18 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl Byrns" quickly quoth:

I found both his and Pratchett's stuff unreadable. I think the guys must take acid, speed, and anti-lithium concurrently. Christopher Moore is both humorous and coherent.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

According to Gunner :

Yep! I've been reading it for a while, and enjoy it. Not quite as funny as the _Phule's Company_ series, simply because the latter hangs a lot on the stupidity and incompetence of the top brass trying to get the company in question to play by the rules. :-)

Tagon's Toughs are truly independent of any top brass (except when under contract).

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Yep -- and also the other series (I forget the name of the author, Stirling, I think), starting with _Island in the Sea of Time_, which has some particularly good model engineering bits. It turns out that I have communicated with the person on whom the model engineer was based. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

According to pyotr filipivich :

[ ... ]

Hmm ... it sounds good. I've also read a couple of ones which are a cross between "chick lit" and fantasy, including _Tall, Dark and Dead_ (about vampires and such), and another series whose name I forget which has a soccer mom who is a part time Demon killer. :-) That latter isn't really as good as it sounds, but there is quite a bit of humor in how she works the demon killing in with getting her kids to their various after-school appointments. :-)

Some of these can be quite fun. The series you mention sound good.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

great stuff - thanks! I'm set for the next 6 months. Now to find a decent electronic reader. Whatever happened to that Sony e-book reader?

Reply to
Rex

I read "Hitler Has Won" (Is that correct?)

Interesting premise, but I didn't care for the author's style.

Reply to
Rex

Spain fought for it's national soul in the 1930s, then gave it away in the last 20 years. I need to pick up a copy of Beevor's book

Reply to
Rex