Metalworking Book Recommendations

I would like some opinions on the best metalworking book for me. I have years of experience with basic metalworking, but I recently bought a lathe and I would like a more advanced book on lathe techniques. I have "The Home Machinist's Handbook", but it just has very basic information on lathe work.

BRW

Reply to
bennet

They have a reprint of a South Bend book which is pretty good. Also has a 2nd book of projects that relates back to the 1st.

Reply to
marc.britten

How to Run a Lathe, by South Bend Lathe Co.

Reprints are still available new. LeeValley tools sells a copy of the

1940-something edition, called Operating a Metalworking Lathe, IIRC, for under $10. Check on Amazon for price range and availability of How to Run a Lathe, aka HTRAL.

There are a couple Brit books that I really like, one is The Amateur's Lathe, by Sparey, another is Milling Operations in a Lathe, by Tubal Cain. Both are quite full of usefull info and ideas.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

The "How to Run a Lathe" book by South Bend Lathe is almost a bible for hobbyists. Don't be too concerned about the date of print as I don't think they changed the verbage inside much. My 1942 reprint has all the info for threading using the gearbox, etc., that I need. The book can also be obtained from Ebay. The second book of projects is ok, but at least some of the projects require castings that I assume used to be available from South Bend Lathe (I've never seen the castings available).

I have an electronic version of the Hercus Text Book of Turning (Hercus is a South Bend clone that was manufactured in Australia). It's similar to "How to Run a Lathe". If you (or anyone else) is interested, send me an e-mail to daveyoung(at)frontiernet(dot)net and I'll e-mail it.

I realize that you were looking for an advanced book. But the "How to Run a Lathe" is a must have, IMHO.

Other books you may be interested in:

Machinist Bedside Reader, by Guy Lautard Machinist Second Bedside Reader, by Guy Lautard Machinist Third Bedside Reader, by Guy Lautard Machinery?s Handbook The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt, Volume 1, by Rudy Kouhoupt The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt, Volume 2, by Rudy Kouhoupt The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt, Volume 3, by Rudy Kouhoupt

There are so many more. I've actually been able to get the Bedside Readers, Shop Wisdom books, and South Bend projects book from the library through the interlibrary loan program. That way you can look before you buy.

Just my two cents...

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

Southbend Lathe How to Run a Lathe, and Machinery Handbook are a good start

Reply to
Tony

According to :

Aside from the others which I have already seen suggested, you might also look into H. K. Moltrecht's _Machine Shop Practice_. It is two volumes, though I think that most of the lathe information is in the first volume. Between them, they cover pretty much every machine tool which you are likely to find in a shop -- and a lot of measurement information as well.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Try this link:

Pete Stanaitis

-------------------

snipped-for-privacy@bennetwilliams.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

Why limit it to one?

Here's a site that's got a LOT of old books in the public domain,

Some suggested search terms on the "Text" portion: "Lathe" "mill" "gear" "machine" "machining" "machine shop" "engine" "iron" "steel"

Knock yourself out, they're free for the downloading. Some are pretty old but a file is still a file.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Great. I've been hitting google books and you just provided another bandwith sucking time wasting place to go.

Thanks Very Much :)

Wes

PS Still Winter Here.

Reply to