Interesting Books!

When ever the chance arises to delve into an old book store, I always ask
the question if they have any old engineering books.
A trip into the top end of Blackpool gave one of those opportunities this
weekend. Five books picked up
Engineering Workshop Data by Caxton, reprinted 1950. Similar in many
aspects to the Machinery's Handbook, not quite as thick.
The theory and practice of Heat Engines by R.H. Grundy circa 1943.
Includes steam Generators Steam engine, and turbines and also Internal
combustion engines.
Also three volumes from The Gresham Library of Mechanical engineering, the
titles are Factory processes and organization, applied mechanics and heat
and lastly Internal combustion engineering (1935 to 1937).
I always find these old tomes to be fascinating, some of the illustrations
showing work from the period, the scale of the engineering and methods of
transport must have been a wonder to see several plates of aircraft as well
as car engines of the era and two showing the movement of a 120 ton boiler
pulled by four Fowler traction engines.
I can see many a good hour with my nose stuck into a good book or two,
perhaps even some inspiration in the months ahead because of it!
Does any body else suffer from the same interest in old books, nothing seems
to be new today, just changed to metric?
--
Cheers Adrian.
Weekend Workshop
Home made propane Foundry
Learning CNC on a Vertical
Mill
Reply to
Adrian Hodgson
I picked up a cardboard box full of engineering books at the local tip. I assume some poor engineer had passed away and the family had simply tossed the books. Much of what's in them isn't much use to me - so perhaps one day I'll get around to finding a good home for them.
One that did inspire me to read it was a small pocketbook entitled 'The Match Industry', by W.Hepworth Dixon. It's amazing just how much chemistry and engineering goes into the manufacture of these everyday objects.
Going slightly off-topic, one of the best gardening books I own came from the same source - a reprint of a paperback first published in 1943, called "The new vegetable grower's handbook". In many ways the imperial/metric rule applies...the facts are the same, only the presentation has changed. What endears this little book to me is the implication that if you haven't got your onions in by a certain date then you're nothing but a lazy chap, and quite possibly not British!
Regards,
Reply to
Stephen Howard
All good stuff! I've been known to collect the odd one or two, however after being described by one of the list as eccentric in my collecting, I tend to rather reticent over numbers...
Tom
Reply to
Tom
Adrian,
I used to have a vast collection (still keep a few) but SWMBO pressured me into downsizing about a year ago. I gave most of them to the SM&EE library but a fair few were duplicates of what was there already so those were sold off to members. By one of those strange co-incidences I saw a significant qunatity of them just before Christmas when a certain cynical trader from Long Eaton (no offence John - love you to bits!) called in for a coffee on his way back from 'collecting a load of books from an old chap in Swanley' - funnily enough I initially recognized them as they were in the boxes I'd originally packed them in! Odd the co-incidences in life.
Andrew Mawson
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
Speaking of finding books....
If anyone rummaging in a book shop spots a copy of " The Stirling Engine Manual Volume 1 " By James G Rizzo would they *please* let me know.
I have a copy of volume two, which is still in print, but Volume one is not :-(.
Or has anyone out there got a copy they would be willing to sell ?
Volume two has several nice engines with build details, but the theory I want to read up on is mainly in volume one.... -- Jonathan
Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.
To reply remove AT
Reply to
Jonathan Barnes
I bought a copy of Rizzo's volume 1 from Camden last year but I note that they don't advertise it any more. Did you try asking them if they have any left over?
Mark
Reply to
Mark Howard
What about this 1985 book?
Rizzo, James G. Modelling Stirling and Hot Air Engines
Peter
Peter A Forbes
I don't Know.... It's the theory behind the engines is what I really want, not engine plans.
Can you outline what's in the book ?
Jonathan.
Reply to
Jonathan Barnes
Most recent....Steam and Other Engines by Duncan, MacMillans 1918, lots of theory and detailed description of how they work, wonderfull.
Reply to
Ken Parkes

Site Timeline