Need books suggestions

Mark Rand wrote: Possibly "Trustee from the

Absolutely! I just read this a few weeks ago. It's been a while since I picked up a book and then could not put it down. Now I need to re-read "On The Beach" and then see what else Nevil Shute (sp?) has written.

Rex

Reply to
Rex

Michael A. Terrell

Here you go:

A Town like Alice Beyond the Black Stump The Breaking Wave Chequer Board Far Country In the Wet Landfall The Lonely Road Most Secret No Highway An Old Captivity Pastoral The Rainbow and the Rose Requeim for a Wren Legacy ( this is A town like Alice ) Marazan Pied Piper Ruined City So Distained Stephen Morris What Happened to the Corbets Round th Bend Kindling Ordeal

Have fun I've read all and quite a few twice. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Never read Prachett, but Douglas Adams "Hitchhiker's Guide" series has to be read sequentially in order to make sense. His last book "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul" is tedious and the subject of more than a few websites devoted to deciphering it. Adams books in the U.S. are different than in the U.K. due to the publisher fearing that Americans A) wouldn't get all the Euro-references and B) would find the word f**k objectionable. Sadly, some of the changes made screwed up the whole tone of a chapter.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I've only gotten the first couple chapters. I'm not sure who wins in the end. (Q. vid your comment about the battle for the soul of Spain.)

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote on 30 Apr 2007 05:21:38 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

[snip]

Part of what I like are the one liners, usually ending the book. "Most women complain that there are no single, straight men left. I'd just like to meet one who's human."

A friend emailed me after finishing one of the later ones "You have to read this! Anita only kills one person, at the end of the book, and it a legal hit."

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

According to pyotr filipivich :

[ ... ]

Another series which might be of interest here, and which actually has some metalworking in it -- the heroine is a blacksmith artist.

Start with _Murder with Peacocks_ and read on through. The most recent one is _No Nest for the Wicket_. (All have birds or bird references in the title.) One _We'll Always have Parrots_ is set in a Science Fiction Convention, The author is Donna Andrews, and the books are hilarious. The worst so far in my personal opinion is the second one _Murder with Puffins_. One takes place at a small company which writes game software, and is titled _Crouching Buzzard Leaping Loon_ The one which has the most dealing with her art blacksmithing (so far) is _Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos_

The last one involves, among other things, "extreme croquet", if you can imagine that. :-)

Enjoy (I know that I did), DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Marks Mechanical Engineer's Handbook is a nice "essential".

Reply to
Robert Swinney