Need Help identifying a source

I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass cards. I have not been able to find a source of the layered silkscreening necessary for the graphics. I have created the correctly sized image in MS Visio. I just need someone to transfer the graphics to the cards. Do any of you know of a source? Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Look at the local T shirt shops. Lots do silkscreening.

Reply to
Calif Bill

There is usually someone local, but if you can't find anyone, I have used Photo Art Stencil & Sign in Belmar NJ (732-681-7300) for similar projects.

Keeping with the culture of this group, however, you may want to do it yourself.

ezscreenprint.com

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Not only the teeshirt but sign companies. Sign fold make lots of decals and odds and ends. I'd think decal not silk. Cleaner and computer generated.

Mart> I have machined up two polycarboate discs that are to be used as compass

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

In line with one of the other posters, there are kits for printing decals, not sure if they were for ink jets or laser printers. The local model railroading store has them. Also, you CAN do heat- transfer on laser printer toner, just takes the right backing sheet to print on in the first place. Google that up if you're interested, it's an old technique, guys have been using it for printing resist patterns for PC boards for decades.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

Polycarbonate is the material CDs are made of, and printing on CDs is a routine task; lots of folk will have the right kind of printing equipment for this. Are the compass cards bigger than a CDROM?

Reply to
whit3rd

All true, BUT: the printing is not on the poly-c. It's on the aluminum layer that's on the poly-c. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Steve - Assuming the "layered silkscreening" you mention refers to multi-color printing: Find transparent labels for a laser printer. Avery has/had them as "clear shipping labels", but nolonger the full page size. Hopefully, the smaller labels would be adaequet. These look good with black only print if the edges can be trimmed in a non obvious fashion. If you don't have a color laser, maybe one of the small printing/copying companies.

Hul

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Reply to
dbr

I used to work at a place where they did their own silkscreening. I don't know where they got the screens, but for some reason, the figure of $75 a pop rings a bell.

There's more than likely someone in town (or the nearest large city) that can make screens for you - just look in the yellow pages. Making a frame is almost trivial, but there's a certain amount of technique to applying the ink with the squeegee; but you can do as much practics as you want on any throwaway scrap pieces.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Glossy magazine pages. You can ignore the printing, because it's the clay that makes the difference. They talk about this all the time in the electronics groups, because people like to do their own PCB layouts.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise