Need recommendation on reciprocating saw (sawzall)

I'm in the market for a reciprocating saw and figured I'm check here for recommendations before I bought one. I'll be using it for home and hobby use but plan on mostly cutting metal up to 3/8" (I have a lot of projects in backlog). Is the Milwuakee Sawzall still the standard?

Reply to
Hard Ball

Check this circular saw blade cutting demo, I was impressed.

Bruce Johnstone

I would strongly recommend the "Super Sawzall" instead of the regular and cheaper model. Lots less vibration transfered to your hands.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

I sure like my Super Sawzall. I bought it because Fine Homebuilding did a comparison test, and it came out on or near the top. There is a more expensive model with more of an orbital than a reciprocating motion, but their test did not show any advantage.

I like the knob to set the maximum speed, and the trigger to throttle the speed from 0 to max. This is particularly important if you are sawing metal.

I even like the metal box it comes in.

Richard

ERich10983 wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

I like the Porter Cable Tiger. Very nice quick-change feature.

Reply to
Mike Graham

The regular sawzall isn't without its moments... it has a shorter stroke which can be greatly preferable when cutting in closed spaces.

Reply to
Mike Graham

Mike Graham wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zippy.metalmangler.com:

A 6509-22 10 amp Sawzall. IIRC the Tiger was 11.5 amp.

Reply to
Dave W

We sell about 10 models of reciprocating saws including Milwaukee's Sawzall, Makita's Recipro saw, Porter-Cable's Tiger saws and Hitachi's reciprocating saws.

Currently the best value is the Porter-Cable Tiger saw, model 9737. You get orbital action (not to be used for metal though), quick-change blade clamp,

11.5A (IIRC) and a plastic case for $199 Cnd. Milwaukee Super Sawzalls with all equivelent features cost about $299 but you get a quik-cord (lots of $$$ to replace a quik-cord though).

Just some thoughts for those who want bang for the buck.

See:

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

That works slick!

Reply to
Stephen Young

I have a fairly recent PC Tiger. Good solid saw overall, but the blade slide assy. is a weak point. Everything's worn out on mine.

I don't know about the Milwaukee (but it would be my first choice), but the better DeWalt models have a pretty good power transmission and slide design.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

The Sawzall has a shorter stroke, which is probably why it feels like it has more control. It doesn't bang you around as much.

Reply to
Mike Graham

Portable bandsaw doesn't work on flat stock larger than the throat can accomodate as cutting a hole in a boiler or something, but for pipe, bar and tube stock they are absolutely incredible. Four inch dia round steel barstock is *no* problem. They also make a nice smooth cut.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Mike Graham wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@zippy.metalmangler.com:

That and the trigger feel is similar to my other Milwaukee power tools...

Reply to
Dave W

I bought a Dewalt and took it back & got a Milwaukee. The stroke on the Dewalt was too long to make plunge cuts and unsupported cuts for me. Been happy with it for years. Greg Sefton

Reply to
Bray Haven

One should not get the wrong impression from the above statement. Milwaukee has a number of models ranging from about 6.5A up to 11 or 12A. Yes, they're more expensive than P+C, but they are excellent machines.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

We're really happy with our Milwaukee, and I'd advise getting a model with the 'quick change' blade holder.

Carla

Reply to
Carla Fong

IMHO, the Super Sawzall is the best. You get a choice of orbital or straight blade action (straight is best if you want to try to saw close to a surface, while orbital is dam fast) and it has more power. Had to do some major remodeling and the SS did the job right well.

Pete Brooks

Reply to
pete brooks

I bought the biggest PorterCable just before B&D came out with their Tiger Saw, I like the P-C a lot, except for the foot- the thing swivels, with the pivot about an inch from the cutting edge of the blade and it irritates me often.. wish I'd have bought the B&D instead, it has a fixed foot. The big Sawzall is also an excellent tool, I've used them with no complaint.

John

Reply to
JohnM