Need some advice on measuring inside diameters

My Starrett set, purchased in the late 50's, doesn't suffer from what you describe, although the one from .300/.400 bore size does have a slight radius, but nothing more than a few thou, so it is capable of measuring very shallow bores. The other three appear to have nothing more than a couple thou radius.

Mine are slightly less than a half ball, so the only limiting factor is the slight radius, a necessary evil to avoid cutting the bore while taking a reading..

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:58:03 -0500, the inscrutable "Ed Huntress" spake:

I'll bet those braille calipers and mikes are something to behold!

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:45:12 -0800, the inscrutable "Glenn" spake:

OUCH! I'll bet Kidocide was the first thought. Did you take it out of his allowance (or otherwise impress upon his mind the gravity of what he had just done)?

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Seriously, I'll bet they have the finest touch and the finest feel for dimensions that you've ever seen. Their sense of touch is amazing.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:31:22 -0500, the inscrutable "Ed Huntress" spake:

Yeah, when you give up one sense, the others are enhanced.

Did I ever tell you about the Braille Anatomy course I taught during summers between high school years?

---------------------------------- VIRTUE...is its own punishment

Website Applications ==================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

All I heard about that, is that it was always over quickly.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's funny. We always used to call that "watching the submarine races."

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

The old railroad shops used to measure the bore of wheels by how far a pin guage of known length could be rocked inside the bore and then do the math.

Reply to
bamboo

You didn't grow up in Milwaukee, did you?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No. Heh. The submarines were racing in the Hudson River, and the preferred location for watching the event was at one or the other lookout areas on the Pallisades cliffs. This was NY/NJ area.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Zepplin races in my neck of the woods.

Gunner

Gunner

LOL. That would require a convertible, it seems...

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

No more than "submarine races" require a body of water

Gunner

Gunner

Ah. But our submarine races *had* a body of water. The Hudson River. The view off the Pallisades is quite amazing.

So I've been told....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

In Milwaukee, it's Lake Michigan, specifically from an area called "Jones Island". It's much less desirable as a parking location now that the sewage plant has been enlarged, though. That and the bridge above it seems to have structural problems:

Dave Hinz

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner wrote back on Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:49:42 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"And I distinctly heard her say 'up periscope!'..."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich