need very small slotted screws

Where can I get small slotted screws? I want to change the allen type in my guitar knobs, probably #4. Thanks, Ron

Reply to
rjv494

Are these set screws inserted through the sides of the knobs or screws with heads threading into the ends of the shafts the knobs are on?

If they are headed screws you should be able to find suitable ones in small quantiuty in the "drawer assortments" at an Ace Hardware, Home Depot or Lowes store.

But watch out, they may be metric threads. Best to be careful matching the ones you have to the ones you buy by bringing a screw, or even better what it threads into, with you on your shopping trip.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

They are set screws

Reply to
rjv494

Hobby shops often have this sort of stuff as well. Failing that, try

Tim Wescott

Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Someone on a guitar forum gave me this site. They even provide free samples to try !!! McMaster has them but 100 quantity. Here's the link..

Thanks for all your help. Ron

Reply to
rjv494

I do a fair amount of work on electric guitars. I don't like the idea of replacing hex head set screws with slotted. I have had to remove many frozen set screws from guitars and I was always glad I had a solid hex head which doesn't strip out. The problem with slotted is they strip unless you have a very precisely matched screwdriver with parallel sides, and such screwdrivers are hard to come by. However, the set screws should be easy to find from any industrial supplier. It's your ax, but I wonder what you're going to do when you have to take the set screw loose and it strips out.

GWE

snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I'm trying to make it as original as possible. The telecaster knobs had slotted screws. I use a jewelers screwdriver and never had a problem. I agree with you, if an oldie was stuck in there, big problem. Thanks, Ron

Reply to
rjv494

If you have to use slotted, look at Brownells gunsmithing supplies for hollow ground screwdrivers that won't mar the screws.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III