Neutral wire in main panel

I am replacing the feed from my main panel to the sub panel with number 3 wire in 1 1/4 inch conduit. I have the wire disconnected from my sub panel.

I have the feeder breaker off feeding the sub panel. (The 100 amp feeder breaker at the main panel).

I know I have to turn off the main 200 amp breaker at the main panel, but is there any voltage at the neutral wire? I know the main breaker has no connection to the neutral coming in from the power company. (I dont think). Will I be safe to just turn off the main breaker, disconnect my wire feeding the sub panel includign the neutral to the neutral bus?

Reply to
stryped

Why? Doesn't the feeder breaker snap off of the busbar? Just pull out the breaker, wire to the subpanel, then snap the breaker back into the main panel. You might check for shorts first, of course, with a meter.

Reply to
whit3rd

I never thought of that but what about the neutral that is not connected to the breaker?

Reply to
stryped

And what does that neutral connect with? Hint, it should be a bare copper wire.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Your 120/240 V service is coming from a transformer out on a pole somewhere, that has a secondary which is center tapped. The center tap is your neutral connection, that center tap is also connected to a ground rod at the pole which has the purpose of making neutral

0 volts in respect to ground and either of your hot legs at 120v in respect to ground.

If you open the main breaker, the neutral should be zero volt. You should have a meter that can verify if a line is engergized or not.

Wes

Wes

You should have some basic understanding before doing this type of work and I don't think usenet is the best place to get it.

Reply to
ATP*

Indeed! "...is there any voltage at the neutral wire?" - what kind of dumb ass question is that!? Scary, just plain scary.

I've been tolerant & held my tongue while others have said "You shouldn't be doing this", but this is too much. Stryed: you should not be doing this.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt