Newbie looking for advices

Hi all!

I have always been interested in metalworking. I do some woodworking and manage to create things like sheds, chicken pens and coops but metalworking is something I am looking to do with some of my spare time.

My main hobby is to ride motorcycle, mostly dirt (trail rides, enduros, dual rides) and I'd like to machine accessories that could easily be bolted on, such as skid plates, guards and gps mounts.

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

I am not looking to make that type of accessories right away, but rather want to start with simple projects and go from there.

What type of metalwork and tools are best suited for beginners and what type of budget are we talking about?

Reply to
Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo

"Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo" wrote in news:437bab67$0$32200$ snipped-for-privacy@news.twtelecom.net:

Basic machinery needed is a lathe, mill and drill press + tooling. As for budget, it's like any other hobby (or business for that matter), how much money you got? Guaranteed you can spend every dime of it...

Reply to
Anthony

I can invest up to a grand in that hobby, for a start, and of course if I realize It's not something for me I can always resell the hardware.

What type of metal is the best for that type of applications? Aluminum is pretty light but I heard it's very complex to weld.

Also where do you buy the sheets? Also do you resell the chips?

I'm a total newbie, sorry!

Reply to
Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo

Given your budget, you could start with a mill-drill. They have their limitations, but work out pretty good for stuff the size you are contemplating. And you need a welder. Oxy-Acetylene is the most versitile, in that it can weld a variety of materials and can also cut, but requires some skill. Later, you might want to consider adding a lathe, etc., etc., etc......

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Disregarding the fact that this POS only helps the seller, you need a bunch of expensive tools to make things like that.

OK, as you don't tell what you want to build, I guess that you don't know. The tool that helped me most during my mx-time was a lathe. Then you need ... Oh, the grand is already gone. :-)

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller