Now that's metalworking!

The bummer is that it couldn't all be made in the UK - many skills and equipment gone forever?

Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

Definitely impressive, but I wonder what the spigot/valve beside the engineer's seat is for.. hot water for tea maybe? Seems like something those Goofy brits would insist on having nearby.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

Geez, Bill, are you saying that "Tornado" is nothing more than the world's most expensive Windemere tea kettle? Mike in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

You might knock it, but on an 8 hour journey, there's nothing at all wrong with eggs and bacon cooked on the coal shovel and a pot of tea with water from a boiler petcock :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

One thing that struck me about steam locomotives as I sat at a local pub where one runs past every week or so is how quiet they are compared to the diesels that do the same run, the steam locos were dong about the same speed as the diesels when passing through. Basically the noise of the loco rolling on the rails and not a lot more, whereas the diesels have far more noise from the engines.

Reply to
David Billington

Mobile tea kettle, touring tea kettle, cordless portable tea kettle, etc.

I didn't see or hear a dollar figure for the 18 year project, but I did hear the discussion about the need to have various parts fabricated in several other countries.

WB ......... metalworking projects

Wild_Bill

The telegraph.co.uk article says 2.9 million pounds, another site says 3 million. Around 5.7 million dollars US.

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

I would have seen the engine (Appalachian ?) at the Henry Ford Museum under steam, my jaw would have joined Junior's (20 at the time) at waist level! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller