Numismatic Question for you Limeys

A long time ago a British fellow mentioned that there was a denomination (pre-decimalization, I think), popularly known as a "hate you" because it was small, hard to keep track of, and nearly worthless.

Was it a half-pence? If not, what was it? Or am I dreaming?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

OK, the "half-pence", (pronounced hape-nee) was not the smallest coin, if I remember correctly, after having been here in the USA for 45 years.

I think the 'farthing' was the smallest, or maybe a silver thrupenny bit. (They used to put these in the christmas pudding as a kind of good luck charm)

Hope this helps you.

When I see "hate you" I'm thinking Cockney rhyming slang, except that I can't think what it would rhyme with.

Reply to
ru4linux2

half=C2=B7pen=C2=B7ny (hp-n, hpn) n. pl. half=C2=B7pence (hpns) or half=C2=B7pen=C2=B7nies

  1. a. A British coin worth one half of a new penny. b. A British coin worth one half of an old penny, no longer in circulatio= n.
  2. The sum of one half of a penny.

A long time ago a British fellow mentioned that there was a denominatio= n

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Farthing was a quarter penny. At 240 pence to the pound, you can imagine how valuable it was.

pyotr filipivich

hape-nee

Reply to
David Eather

ISTR that 60 years ago a pound bought you about $4-80

Reply to
newshound

I should add "hate me"

Reply to
David Eather

Let the Record show that "newshound" on or about Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:30:18 +0100 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Considering that originally, an English Pound was just that - a pound of silver, it makes sense.

pyotr filipivich

wouldn't that be more 'haa' pen nee'? (It has been a long time since I was in England.)

pyotr filipivich

I used to love those old arithmetic questions like:

If a quarter cwt of coal costs one pound 3 shillings and 4 pence three farthings, what would be the cost of 5 tons 13 cwt and 3 quarters? regards, Mike in BC

Reply to
michael gray

Let the Record show that michael gray on or about Fri, 18 Sep 2009 01:51:42 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

In the movie "Don't raise the Bridge, lower the river" one of the schemers gets a check (or rather cheque) for half up front. one order of 'Umpteen thousand pounds seven shilling nine pence and a farthing." Repeated several times in the scene

pyotr filipivich

Wow! late Saturday afternoon and NO answers yet. What do you guys do when such a weighty question stares you in the face?

A little help: 4 quarters = 1 cwt (hundredweight = 112 lbs) 20 cwt = 1 ton (112 x 20 = 2240 lbs = 1 ton) and then: 4 farthings = 1 penny 12 pence = 1 shilling (and for interest, 2 shillings = 1 florin, 2 shillings and sixpence = a half-crown, 5 shillings = 1 crown) 20 shillings = 1 pound ( and let us not forget the illustrious 1 guinea = 1 pound and 1 shilling)

it surprises me not at all that you guys below the 49th. said "the hell with it" and split. The tea tax was just an excuse I think. regards, Mike in BC

Reply to
michael gray

Let the Record show that michael gray on or about Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:33:28 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Ah, but you are assuming this "cost of 5 tons 13 cwt" refers to the long ton.

pyotr filipivich

5 shillings = 1
Reply to
michael gray

Sorry, I didn't realise you were looking for a written answer. I thought it was a mental arithmetic question.

Mark Rand (in the UK :) RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Let the Record show that michael gray on or about Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:36:32 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Ah - you've got experience. I missed out on all that "fun".

I've plowed through some of the conversion for other reasons, and the fun of "how many gallons to the barrel" and "which weighs more - a pound of silver or a pound of lead?" and such situations where there are two (or more) items with the same generic name. I.e. "ton"

pyotr filipivich

I was doing fine till I realized I'd forgotten most of the log tables, couldn't find my slipstick.

Dang, I'm forgetting how many grains to a Troy ounce, again.

pyotr filipivich

1 troy ounce = 480 grains --
Hope This Helps! Rich
Reply to
Rich Grise

Measure for Measure, pg 596

pyotr filipivich

A farthing is a 1/4 of an old penny. However, there used to be 1/2 and

1/4 farthings. They date back to the 1800's. I've got a 1/2 farthing in my collection at home but can't remember the details. Now if you want to talk coins, there's the crown (5 shillings) 1/2 crown and the groat. We had rods, poles, perches, chains and fathoms. All units of length. Thank goodness we went metric. If you really want to baffle folks, just mention Twaddle as a unit.

John

Reply to
John