Nylon 6/6 and 6/12

What is the difference between Nylon 6/6 and 6/12. I found them on MSC. How do they machine and which one is softer? I am looking for something that holds shape well. I would like to make some collets to mount in the back of the spindle (of a mini lathe) to hold a wooden shaft centered while it is being machined. Also need someting to cover the jaws with so that it would not mar/damage wood shafts while holding in the chuck. Any other suggestions Other than Delrin? Since Delrin is too hard. I need material with more flexibillity. Thanks for any advise.

David Heidary

Reply to
David Heidary

If the delrin is too hard, either nylon will probably be found to be too hard as well. You might want to go with something like a higher durometer urethane.

Jim

jim rozen

I had to turn a bunch of wooden handles for a neighbor who makes WWII machine gun turrets for 6X6 trucks. These are used in parades and war games.

I used some PVC pipe, slotted, to hold the dowels in a 3 jaw chuck. Worked nicely, no marring and quick to reload.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

Nylon 6/12 is softer, though maybe mot soft enough for your application.-Jitney

Reply to
jitney