O/T what are some alternate uses for an automotive a/c compressor?

I've been scrapping some cars and pulled a few things prior to shipping the car to the crusher. Are car air conditioner compressors
good for any other purpose beside air conditioning?
Modat22 wrote:

I used the magnetic clutch from an old Ford compressor to make a 12 volt battery powered nail/screw picker-upper. Used a push button switch to control and two 6 volt lantern batteries for power. Origional use was to pick up spilled screws at the plant. Now I use it to pull nails from the fireplace ash before working it into the garden.
I have seen mention that the aluminum from the compressors are a good source of material for those who cast aluminum.
Paul
They can be used as air compressors.
They can be modified into steam engines, especially the York 2-cylinder type.
Wolfgang
Modat22 wrote:

They make good vacuum pumps. Wood turners use them for vacuum chucking.
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 17:14:46 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"

That is a great idea, I've been wanting a vacuum press for veneering panels.
Thanks
See http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/compressors.htm for some info on using york's as air compressors.
-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

Modat22 wrote:

DIY engine-driven refrigeration and freezer systems, for instance boat holding-plate systems. The same compressors are used, but they run at lower system pressures to get the evaporator temperature down below freezing.
I've got a 110V motor driving an old one to make a vacuum pump. Useful for working on Auto A/C systems, bleeding brakes and putting watches cellphones etc into a vacuum after an accidental dunking ( prevents corrosion later)
Mark (that thing really sucks!) Dunning

-
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:50:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,

Air compressors, vacuum pumps, and ballast. ;)
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!