Oh no! Something on topic! flywheels

I remember that. They ran with the axis vertical so as to not cause turning problems but as I remember nothing was said about "bumps". Maybe some limited travel suspension. A sharp up or down in the road though may be a problem. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Gee, might be useful in limiting roll on cornering, in a car.....

Reply to
Rex

"charlie" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Same here,, then we filled the tube with water and had to do it all over again...

Reply to
Jerry

In article , Jon Elson wrote: : : :Al Dykes wrote: : :> :>Con Edison, the electric company in NY surplussed one of it's 1000MW :>generators, known as Big Alice, and donated it to MIT for it's fusion :>lab. I saw it on the rail siding in Cambridge. :> :> :That would be "big Allis", as in Allis-Chalmers, an old-time maker of :major industrial equipment. Did they get absorbed into ABB?

My 4th grade teacher's name was Alice Chalmers. Not sure what she got absorbed into.

Reply to
Robert Nichols

precession,

handlebar to go the

steer out of a turn,

left, you need to

which you do by

Heh heh, that's not quite right either. Motorcyclists 'pull' on one handlebar to go the other way......;>) Actually push on one side and pull the other. To turn left pull on the right while pushing on the left. Now what did I go and start, again. Gotta stop getting my butt in trouble here, eih? Phil Kangas

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I learned a long time ago that when the bike gets airborne to turn the front wheel the opposite way the trail goes. So a quick turn one way and then just before you hit the ground turn the way you want to go. It's amazing how well it worked. Once I mastered that I could go much faster when riding in the dirt. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

What about a disc from a disc brake? Betcha you can find one for free at the tire place. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Was this many decades ago at the francis bitter magnet lab?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Tom, what are you saying, Daylight Savings Time all year or something?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Smith

I spotted the Big Allis mipspledding too...

I certainly hope they derated the generator a LOT when going for the short-circuit high current dump - that will mechanically stress the hell out of the unit, they aren't built to slow down that fast.

If the college has a cogeneration or steam heating boiler plant, they wouldn't even need to use utility electric power to spin it up - just tap off the boilers whenever they have excess capacity.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Well, don't take ALL the energy!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Spiderwire?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's a sore subject for me...BAN DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The flywheel's response due to vacuum failure usually depends on the external surface of the rotor. Most often the surface heating due to air friction causes such intense local heating that things fail on account of that before it can slow down. The other thing is that whatever caused the vacuum to fail rapidly usually causes some kind of physical shock that subjects the bearings to such intense loads that they are also prone to failure. You really have to get quite a good grasp of the intense energy contained in the system to appreciate the many failure modes and possibilities. The current maximum surface speed is like 800 meters per second (or close; I don't recall, but that's still 1790mph!) ) which is enough to cause rather intense surface heating really quickly.

The high speed flywheels you mention are a lot smaller in size, which allows a higher speed. The practical speed limit function of the tensile strength of the rotor material, but the goal is to be as big (diameter) as possible going as fast as possible. More mass as far out as possible and more speed equals more power, in a nutshell.

Reply to
Carl McIver

Machinery's Handbook says the best flywheel form (for energy storage) is a flat disc: being a compromise between putting all the weight at the rim, and the tensile strength needed to hold it together.

Reply to
David R Brooks

But water isn't a static weight, you aren't going to be rotating the whole mass at once. There will be eddies and currents inside, and that could seriously mess up your calculations.

You need to fill that tire with epoxy or something that sets solid.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Except that for a turn one way it lifts the front end and the other way lifts the rear end. :-) Dont think I'd like the steering that produces. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Reply to
M Berger

"Carl McIver" wrote: (clip) more power, in a nutshell. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A flywheel that would fit in a nutshell would have to go to REALLY high RPM.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Not too sure about the need for fast. It's the way you always steer on a bike above a few miles per hour. If you try to analyse it too carefully, you are in danger of getting thrown off the bike! It's also the reason why many bikers, who go on to learn car driving, get criticised for steering out before turning into corners. In my case I failed my car driving test for it the first time I took it :-(

Mark Rand TYG<

Reply to
Mark Rand