oil and magneto/flywheel

I have an ATV and recently went through deep water. The recoil starter
mechanism/ magneto flywheel area all had water in it for a few days. I
drained the water and am wondering if I can fill the area with oil,
turn the engine over a few times and drain it so everything will be
lubed and rust will not form. Will oil hurt any of the workings of the
magneto/coil etc behind the flywheel. It is an 04 polaris sportsman.
Thanks
Reply to
mark
What you do will depend in what the water was like. Now water clean like tap water shouldnt be a problem if you candry it out properly. If it was muddy stream or river water then the only safe thing to do is strip clean out dry, re lube all moving parts including the recoil spring, a pain sometimes then re assemble Was it running for some time after it got dunked? as an engineer Id not risk corrosion /dirt damage. Jut accept that its a chore to be done asap.
Reply to
Ted Frater
I blew compressed air everywhere and then sprayed a lubricant on everything. I dried out the recoil mechanism on top of my furnace and then gave it a good spray as well.
Reply to
mark
Does it run ok now? and start as it allwaysdid? Presume it has a sealed HT ignition module, NOT old fashioned points and condenser. Sounds otherwise OK to me. Ted Dorset UK.
Reply to
Ted Frater
Yea runs great now
Reply to