old techniques still in use?

Tongue firmly in cheek?

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Yep, accountant "types" don't understand stuff like that. So they piss off money for the lack of an engine lathe & a drill press & an old bridgeport mill. I have all of these just in case my CNC's take a shit.

Reply to
Why

I don't think I know how to "program" my 3 drill presses

Reply to
Why

--------- You gotta know which pulleys to put the belts on, and the difference between forward and reverse (if you have that option installed).....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

And how about programming that power downfeed?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

de quoted text -

I like that I work with equiptment that is "cutting edge" (A matsuura

5 axis cell) & yet no more than 20ft away there is an old engine lathe that gets used daily to fix some piece of farm equiptment that is covered with cow shit. Now we might not do things like babbit bearings....but those of us who have been there (at our shop) for a few years have at least seen one...and give us a bit of time for the learning curve....we could do the damn thing. & BTW...the old school engine lathe (with a good guy running it) can make the shop $100/hr. Not bad for a machine that has been paid for at least 20 years...
Reply to
zymrgy

I guess I need to go to school to learn that @ 63 yrs old . My shop started in 1972...

Reply to
Why

I have been using "digital positioning" on my drill press for years.

I use my fingers to turn the handles on my four-way drill press vise.

Reply to
*

"*" wrote in news:01c8b04e$de672b20$e794c3d8@race:

So that would make its resolution 4 bit then or 5 if you count the thumb..... :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

quoted text -

Talking of old techniques, Some of you may know im in the UK and use all old machinery. Currently setting up my 1889 drop hammer to mint 2500 plaques for the

40th Great Dorset Steam fair. About a months work. My lathe is a lease lend 1942 Le Blond royal, all gear head 3hp mootor, swings 15in with 30 in between centeres. As good as the day you kind folks gave it to us here.

Ted Dorset Uk

Reply to
Ted Frater