One more law

In Utah, today, a new law is closer to reality. If you have more than 5 vehicles behind you, you must pull out at the first safe place and let them pass, EVEN IF ALL OF YOU ARE EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT. I foresee lawsuits on this one. Massive pileups with "people driving under permission from the State of Utah to exceed the speed limit." It's only logical.

If they ever outlaw nose picking, I'm just going to park my truck and shoot it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They have that law in Oregon, you know. If not the part about speeding, then at least the 5 vehicles behind.

I think about it often -- every time I'm 6th or more in line, for miles and miles and miles, in fact.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

California has a similar law, was the only test question I missed when I moved into the state and went for a new driver's license. I said "you're kidding!" when the broad at the counter told me it was true. She was also looking for cheat sheets on me, apparently most applicants barely make the written, some have to hire folks to cheat and take the written for them after failing two or three times. They all drive like it, too.

No lawsuits out there over that law. It's to prevent drivers from going bughouse and passing on two lane mountain roads when there's somebody doing speed limit at the front of the line. They still pass on curves and in no-passing zones. And they regularly get 50-100 car pileups in the fog around Sacramento, they speed up to get out of it faster, even though they can't see two car lengths ahead. Don't miss that crap at all...

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Not to worry, Steve. It'll be just another law they have no intention of enforcing.

Bob Swinney

If they ever outlaw nose picking, I'm just going to park my truck and shoot it.

Steve

Reply to
Robert Swinney

"I think about it often -- every time I'm 6th or more in line, for miles and miles and miles, in fact."

Tha's OK, Tim. Just pull out and pass and they'll ticket you for speeding; then don't pay the fine. It'll take a while before they warrant you for that, as well.

Bob Swinney

They have that law in Oregon, you know. If not the part about speeding, then at least the 5 vehicles behind.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:57:16 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "SteveB" quickly quoth:

That's true in California, too. And that's a sane law. They know how frustrated people get behind slower vehicles and how many stupid things (passing on shoulder, passing on blind curves) people will try to get past the slow drivers. It's the latter which makes the law sane. Besides, it's polite to get your slug ass out of our way.

Which, your nose or the poor, innocent truck, you savage? ;)

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

One of the things I really liked when driving in Germany was that, whether or not they had such a law (don't know), single carriageway roads tended to have passing places every few miles and slow moving trucks, tractors, camper vans etc would pull into them and wave the other traffic through. Makes everyone happier, you appreciate the guys that do it rather than resenting them

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Sounds like you need to enact a law for more officers for enforcement. Or legalize the taking out of a motorhome engine with a .50 BMG round.

I'm telling you, all we need is more laws.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They barely enforce the polygamy laws, and if you look at it, the situation is very similar .................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

So many drivers, so few bullets...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Ahh! Driving. That gets me going... Most people have the brain of a woman when it comes to driving, about the size of a cats brain. I have driven with my headlights on, day or night, since I started driving, here in California a law was passed that specifies the driver should turn on headlights when it's raining. Two years later and the compliance rate is about 60%. The law about 5 people behind, pull over, compliance rate about 20%. The law about using your turn signals: compliance level from women about 20%, from men about 40%. It seems that any driving action not designed to directly benefit the driver, any action that would constitute curtesy or foresight is deemed unnecessary. Me, Me , Me. Why should I turn on headlights, I can see quite well without them, f*ck other people... Me, Me, Me. Why should I use my turn indicators, I know I will be turning soon and it takes sooo much energy to pull or push the lever. Me, Me Me... I am driving at the speed I feel comfortable with, if people are behind me, that is their problem and I am way below the speed limit anyway, and if I think altruistically people should not be driving that fast anyways, I am a christian and by driving slowly i am savin souls....

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

Polygamy should be legal.

Since when does the State have the right to limit the numbers of people in a binding contract?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

"SteveB" wrote: (clip) EVEN IF ALL OF YOU ARE EXCEEDING THE SPEED LIMIT. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ We have that law in California. Also, in California the posted speed limit may be exceeded if it is safe to do so, considering things like weather, visibility, traffic, etc. (If you get a ticket, though, you have the burden of proof to show you were driving safely.) You can also get a ticket for driving too fast, EVEN IF IT'S BELOW THE POSTED LIMIT. IOW, the law about holding up a string of five or more cars does not attempt to deal with speed limits, If five or more cars are held back by one car, it is reasonable to assume that a higher speed would be reasonable and safe.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Tom, why don't you make huge wire brushes, like the soft ones used in a car wash? Than a robotic arm to fold it out and take all the paint off as you pass. If the wires are sharp enough, they won't be able to see through the windows, and problem solved! Over time, it would be cheaper than bullets, and can be automated. Don't forget to add a "Dukes of Hazard" horn! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I'm not sure about this, but I think the law states that the headlights should be on when the windshield wipers are on. I feel silly when I have to turn on my headlights just to use the windshield washers or just do one swipe of the wipers to remove some mist. :-)

The law about 5 people behind, pull over, compliance rate about 20%. I think 20% is way too high. People in this state are just NOT going to pull over for ANYone. I have lost count how many times I have been driving on a freeway and the CHP or an ambulance comes roaring up the fast lane with lights and siren going. AND PEOPLE WON'T EVEN PULL OVER FOR THEM!!!

The law about using your turn signals: compliance level

I didn't think that most cars sold in this state even had Turn signals.

I am a christian and by driving slowly i am savin souls....

Unless you are the ONLY soul on the road doing the speed limit. If everyone else on the road is doing 75 and you are doing 55, YOU are the hazard.

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

As a slightly different point of view, the difference between driving 75 and

60 in my Dodge diesel truck for 300 miles is between $20-$30 dollars @ $4/gal. and the time difference is one hour. So I get paid about $25/hr to slow down. The tiredness factor at the end of a long pull day is reduced @ 60mph. All that said if we are running behind we have cruised @ 75(never on a two lane) with a Lance camper and a dual axle trailer with a small helicopter loaded. I don't feel as comfortable at that speed though. No insurance coverage for the helicopter. I hate the unenforced laws. They just form the basis for some cop with a little guy syndrome to play gotcha. If California is not going to enforce the 55mph for autos with trailers, and it sure doesn't look like they are, I wish they would publicly announce it. We get the habit of ignoring unenforced laws and there is a drift toward maybe ignoring more of them. Not all of us have sufficient judgement to know when to stop.
Reply to
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

The Germans see deeply into the art of driving and road ways.

Obviously the autobahn is number one.

However, what really amazed me about driving in Germany (and France) is that the speed limits are actually *reasonable*, people *obey* them far more often, and the law *enforces* the laws more often than they do here.

Max limit in France seems to be about 130 km/h, and (surprise) everyone drives at 130 km/h in good weather - just like they do here! (Canadian freeway speed limit is 100km/h)

Mind you, German roads are kept in fantastic condition. Apparently the autobahn asphalt is roughly twice as thick as our freeways are. You really notice the difference at 160km/h in a hatchback.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:20:06 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom Gardner" quickly quoth:

But a properly aimed vaporizing laser at tire level could...

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I take it you haven't driven in Texas. Speed limits here are generally reasonable (70-80 on the real highways, 55 on the service roads), drivers don't generally speed and they are also far more polite than many other states. I noticed this when I moved here, but my friends back in the northeast didn't believe me. Someone from the northeast was down here and made the same comment about drivers here, so I know I'm not just imagining it.

Reply to
Pete C.

This is PACK mentality.

A pack of 5 travel as one and bubble to the front of any line. Much like hole or electron flow, the front people that pull over are pushed back by 5 or more.

I can see if it is a tractor or farm wagon. But not the typical car.

Martin

Mart> In Utah, today, a new law is closer to reality. If you have more than 5

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn