One more law

What I can't figure out is why are all these people using their fog lights? Crystal clear fifty mile visibility, and they are using obnoxious fog lights that give off as much light as high beams. I don't get it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Because they have not yet collected enough matching bricks to pave their BBQ area with.

Help them out. Throw a brick at them! :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

This is an example of natural law just getting codified, ther's an interesting discussion of law vs. legislation on

ATP*

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Then tell the idiots in Sacto to raise the speed limit for towing to that used by everyone else.

They've built in a traffic hazard by requiring towing vehicles to travel at least 15 MPH slower than the rest of the traffic.

Reply to
Eregon

This is not completely correct. CA has a basic speed law that prohibits driving faster than is safe. That is applicable on any road.

On roads that have a "maximum speed" posted, this can be enforced regardless of better than average conditions. A prime example of this is in Gunner's back yard. Trucks going down the grapevine have a maximum speed limit of 35 MPH. Enforcement begins at 36 MPH.

Yet the highway patrol is not entirely unreasonable, once the truck is on the flat wide open stretch of I5 in that county, the CHP usually ignores trucks doing a steady 65 in the 55 maximum truck limit.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Indeed. and they DO enforce a 1mph overspeed. And its VERY expensive.

1-5 mph over on the Grapevine as I recall, costs a trucker $471 to start off with and goes up from there.

Of course the Grapevine has had a LONG history of incredibly horrific deaths on it as the result of truck traffic.

Generally.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I liked the headlight system on my '90 Lumina APV - low beams at reduced output when the engine is running during daylight. Enter a low light area or block the sensor and all lights come on full brightness

- high or low controlled by the driver. When SWMBO picked up the vehicle, the salesman showed her the light switch and told her "never touch it" no more dead battery until the teens discovered the reading lights. Most of the A'holes with "driving lamps" want them within 6" of the road, showing more lighted area than the factory installed system, and on when the vehicle is occupied. A Winchester 94 with a filtered scope would improve these "Driving Lamps" greatly. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Driving with (front) foglights on when the visibility of more than 50metres (165ft) is actually an offence in Blighty. Automatic points on your license and a fine. Trouble is, in 35 years I've never heard of even one occasion when it has been enforced :-|

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I haven't driven in the UK for decades, but my recollection is that your foglights are a LOT more powerful than ours.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

In Alberta somewhat more at 110 km/h and on the #1 in BC too.

As are the roads on Alberta, wish I could say the same for BC - especially in the North, but then we're beyond Hope :-) BCer's joke.

MIke in BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner wrote on Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:41:26

-0800 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Dad's story was from the CHP officer who had it floored, was doing over a hundred and climbing, lights and siren going - when the truck passed him. I've also been told, if you were really, really, extremely "use up a lifetime supply, eight and a half of your nine lives", lucky, you might make it shiny side up, down onto the flat, and then coast to Bakersfield. Coast, 'cause you had no brakes. But that was back in the good old days, before they straightened the curves.

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Since last fall, around here, if you're caught driving 50km/hr. over the limit, it costs you $2000.00 and you lose the car and your licence for a week - if it's a rental car, you get to pay an extra week rental; if it's your mothers car, she gets to walk along side you unless she can borrow daddy's car. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

They have the same law in Ontario. The cop can either charge you with speeding or obstructing traffic or both at the same time, depending on whether the cop got lucky last night.

Reply to
NewsGroups

On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 17:55:58 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed Huntress" quickly quoth:

Drive up to your garage some night and turn 'em on. You'll see where they point in relation to the low and high beams. For fog, the amber beams must be aimed low to avoid highlighting the fog like the high beams do. They can be used safely, if properly aimed (which 90% aren't) with traffic around.

Driving light, OTOH, must be aimed high to show you what your high beams can't beam out to. All oncoming traffic would be blinded by them when properly aimed.

Hey, as a deterrent, howzbout someone building and selling us a nice little taser unit which disables (like the police units they're testing) the oncoming vehicle which blinded us? A side-shot from the rear of the vehicle would blast it and force them to the side of the road. Instant Karma!

(Don, got some time in between LED bike light manufacturing tasks?)

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Today at the westbound Pasadena 210 split, I nearly nailed an elderly woman in a tan car, who pulled out in front of me at about 5mph from the slow lane to the hot lane, not bothering to check her mirrors. My headlights WERE on and I had to swerve into the next lane, fortunately empty. I was traveling at around 50mph , hauling a trailer with about

1000s of Stuff on it, the roads were slick and if Id locked em up..it would have been a hell of a go round as the trailer and truck swapped ends in 8 lanes (one way) of traffic.

When I went by..I gave her the fickle finger of fate, a long blast of the horn, and noticed the red temporary handicapped plate hanging from her mirror..an her chatting on the cell phone. Im surprised they give those that badly retarded drivers licenses.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:34:57 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

My new Tundra has a timed relay for the lights. I love it already since I run with headlights at all times. The little amber daylight running lamps don't quite cover it.

And you can't use the 94 on them, can you? Time to buy a hand-crank battery charger which takes 2 hours of hard work to restore your battery. Make the teen perp crank it until charged. It just might reinforce your request that they turn off the lights before disembarking the vehicle.

A Barrett .50 through the block would make the owners think twice.

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 19:21:24 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, pyotr filipivich quickly quoth:

I was heading to Sandy Eggo with a buddy in his built 65 Goat, a 389 with 3 2-bbl carbs on it and a 3.03 rear end. We had just entered I-5 south from Oceanside, CA when he sped up to 70 or so, back when it was a 55mph California. A CHP officer pulled up next to us and pointed for us to pull over. Phil laughed, hit a long burn in second gear, and we were off to the races. I shit a brick, thinking we'd be in jail in minutes. He caught rubber in third and we were leaving the CHP behind us long before he caught 4th. He leveled off at 140, ran for about a minute there, and then backed her down. It was then that he told me he knew the CHP officer and they did that every once in awhile for kicks. I liked to have killed him for that, but it was a very memorable evening.

I had fun driving I-8 to Phoenix back before it was turned into a real freeway and they removed all the nice twists and turns.

Ah, those were the days. I remember one time, beer between legs, when I'd dropped off a buddy in my '70 AMC Javelin. It was a Mark Donahue Special with the 390cid, 375hp, 420ft# V-8, Borg Warner T-10 close ratio 4-sp trans, and 4.11 rear end. What a FUN car! He indicated that I should light 'em up, so when I went around the corner, I squealed 'em a bit, then caught second with a full burn. About then, I noticed that the headlights coming up behind me were coming increasingly fast. I kept on the throttle through the curves for about a mile and hit a side street. I moved up a block and pulled over, shutting off the lights and motor with him a good 1/4 mile behind me. As the CHP officer in the Dodge Interceptor went by on the other street, I saw his emblem glow in the moon and was glad I'd pulled off. I finished my beer, got rid of the can, and retraced my steps as soon as he was out of sight again. Whew! He'd have hit his siren and lights as soon as he'd caught up to me and seen my license plate, but that never happened. Oh, and I didn't spill a single drop of beer during that high speed pursuit, either. I'm glad the drunken days are over.

Speed is fun, but a bit less fun once you get gray.

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 01:25:27 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Headlights only work for the sighted, Gunner.

--snip-- Its the little old lady from pasadena Go granny, go granny, go granny go Got a pretty little flower bed of white gardenias Go granny, go granny, go granny go But parked in her rickety old garage Is a brand new shiny red super-stock dodge

And everybodys saying theres nobody meaner Than the little old lady from pasadena She drives real fast and she drives real hard Shes a terror out on colorado boulevard

Its the little old lady from pasadena

--snip--

That tends to get messy, doesn't it?

What kind of pulse will kill a cell phone? Maybe one of the ex-electronics experts here can come up with a phone disgronifier so we can all make the streets around us safer places to be, without the idiots on cell phones threatening at every intersection and beyond.

-- An idealist believes the short run doesn't count. A cynic believes the long run doesn't matter. A realist believes that what is done or left undone in the short run determines the long run. -- Sydney J. Harris

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Polarizers on the driving lights, and crosspolarizers on windshields! An idea I have had for along time, but wouldn't know how to implement universally.

cheers T.Alan

Reply to
T.Alan Kraus

You should let him out more often.