one-way clutch questions

I have an application that I need to rotate a shaft at about 3 rpm. The shaft is 2.5" dia. x 5' long and has a number of cams on it. A ratchet wheel will move the shaft incrementally through 98 steps and there are 104 teeth on the ratchet. I want to use a gearmotor and chain drive to move the last 6 steps stopped by a limit switch. I don't think I'll need a brake and the ratchet wheel has 2 pressure brakes on it to take the jar out of the ratchet. I also want the gearmotor to "walk" the shaft around for troubleshooting. All my other machines use an 2.5" air cylinder mechanism to advance the ratchet the extra teeth. One of these cylinders is $600 plus the rest of the mechanism for $1000. I think the gearmotor will be cheaper and better.

My question: I want a one-way clutch so the chain drive will just coast while the machine ratchets. Is there a one-way clutch that I can mount on the output shaft of a 1/4 hp gearmotor and just bolt a sprocket to the clutch?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

RoyJ

Perhaps check the one way bearings on

The overrunning clutch couplings they have don't seem to quite be it, but at your low speeds might work.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Google "sprag" such as these:

S Young

Google sprag or roller ramp clutch. A quick check shows the following company has something that might work.

Wayne Cook

EXACTLY!!! Thanks!

Tom Gardner

If you do or can use cycle chain then cycle freewheels would be a cheap solution.

You can, however, only obtain versions that clutch in one direction...

Reply to
jtaylor

Horton Air Clutch with a solenoid to disengage power train when you want it to coast. Ive got about 30 of them.

Tom...perhaps its time to make a road trip to Taft..I think Ive got Stuff you need. Free to you.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner