one-way clutch questions

I have an application that I need to rotate a shaft at about 3 rpm. The
shaft is 2.5" dia. x 5' long and has a number of cams on it. A ratchet
wheel will move the shaft incrementally through 98 steps and there are 104
teeth on the ratchet. I want to use a gearmotor and chain drive to move the
last 6 steps stopped by a limit switch. I don't think I'll need a brake and
the ratchet wheel has 2 pressure brakes on it to take the jar out of the
ratchet. I also want the gearmotor to "walk" the shaft around for
troubleshooting. All my other machines use an 2.5" air cylinder mechanism
to advance the ratchet the extra teeth. One of these cylinders is $600 plus
the rest of the mechanism for $1000. I think the gearmotor will be cheaper
and better.
My question: I want a one-way clutch so the chain drive will just coast
while the machine ratchets. Is there a one-way clutch that I can mount on
the output shaft of a 1/4 hp gearmotor and just bolt a sprocket to the
clutch?
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Mcmaster has lots of variations on those. The ones I've used are called "One-Way Locking Steel Needle-Roller Bearings" available up to 1" shaft. Standard looking needle roller bearing assembly, acts as a bearing one way, locks tight the other. Torque capacity might not be high enough for your use.
Tom Gardner wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Perhaps check the one way bearings on

The overrunning clutch couplings they have don't seem to quite be it, but at your low speeds might work.
Pete C.
Reply to
Pete C.
Google "sprag" such as these:
S Young
Google sprag or roller ramp clutch. A quick check shows the following company has something that might work.
Wayne Cook
EXACTLY!!! Thanks!

Tom Gardner
If you do or can use cycle chain then cycle freewheels would be a cheap solution.
You can, however, only obtain versions that clutch in one direction...
Reply to
jtaylor
Horton Air Clutch with a solenoid to disengage power train when you want it to coast. Ive got about 30 of them.
Tom...perhaps its time to make a road trip to Taft..I think Ive got Stuff you need. Free to you.
Gunner
Gunner