Opinions on 1/2" pistol drills

Has anyone bought a currently available model they especially like?

Extra points for:

-Jacobs chuck (not keyless), or a 1/2-20 spindle that will accept the chuck off my old drill.

-Good speed control and convenient reverse for power tapping.

-*Not* the Milwaukee Magnum style long trigger, which IMO is an ergonomic abomination. I notice some of the newer Milwaukees have a shorter 2-finger trigger.

-Something that won't twist your arm off before you can release the trigger when it jams. I've got a 1/2" spade handle drill for when I want to beat myself up.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I have a dewalt 1/2" drill, which is very strong, but, unfortunately, twists my hands. I admit to not having strong wrists. It has all features that you listed, plus hammering action.

Ignoramus9970

Bosch makes drills with torque-limiting. Any others?

Reply to
Jordan

I have a half-inch double reduction pistol grip. I had a half-inch bit jam in a hole and as I am left handed the torgue forced my hand against the trigger lock button. I was still bleeding when I got my dremel out and cut that button off flush with the case. Took a month to heal. Regards. Ken (dances with drills)

Reply to
Ken Davey

Scary stuff. A similar thing, but on a bigger scale, happened to me when I was using a gasoline powered posthole digger. My rotator cuff still hurts.

Ignoramus9970

I have a Metabo (Walter is Metabo, FYI) BE1020 (see

made in Germany.

It has a torque-limiting clutch which I have tripped a couple of times. It comes in handy when breaking through the back face of a part. Virtually all of Metabo's drills have this feature (some of the really cheap "made in China" drills may not). It is a good idea to use the included side handle as the safety clutch is fairly stiff.

The BE1020 has electronic speed control (what they call VTC) so it runs at full RPM at maximum load. It has a two speed gear box. These two features make the tool great for tapping. The max speed is set via a dial on the top of the drill, and the trigger will go from zero to whatever the max setting is.

The electronic speed control will shut down the machine if it overheats (a co-worker did that only once) and when the brushes need to be replaced.

It cost me about $300 Cnd. and is well worth the money, IMO. I drill aluminum, mild steel, cast iron and cast tooling steel with the machine. You should be able to use any tap which will fit in the 1/2" chuck (which I believe is made by Rohm).

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Thanks, Robin. That looks like it could be a winner. There's also a slightly smaller version that I might consider. It doesn't seem to have as fancy electronics as yours, but looks pretty similar otherwise, and is about $55 US less. As I mentioned before, I have a big spade handle drill, so don't feel the need for anything too torquey.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

No kidding. I always thought those were a disaster. I almost broke my wrist one time with one of those. The switch is designed so if the drill grabs, you can't help but hit the trigger harder!

My personal preference is for the older milwaukee drills with the aluminum housings and the shorter triggers. Mine's a

3/8 inch drill though.

I do have a half inch D-handle drill at work with the side arm handle, which is indespensible. I don't often need it, but when I do.....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I've got one of those old 3/8" as well and would be perfectly happy with a 1/2" version, but as far as I can tell they're not made any more. The newer Milwaukees seem to be moving away from the full length trigger, but I'm amazed they've made them as long they have. It looks likes a good idea til the first time you actually try to use one in a less than optimum position.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Ned,

The Panasonic drills always score high in the comparison tests that I have seen. I don't own one, but I do have their electric screwdriver and it is top notch.

Randy

Simm> >

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Damn. I was going to say how much I liked my Milwaukee Magnum. I really like the removable cord. Perhaps this is because I have small hands or something but I have never had a problem with the trigger.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

All I could find from Panasonic were corldless. Do they make any corded drills? Looking back, I wasn't specific, but that's what I'm shopping for.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons