Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts?

I've got a history of the milling machine from the library that shows Nasmyth's miller that he made for Maudsley about 1829-30 for milling flats on nuts. The illustration shows a hex nut of large engineering size. Presumably, before that they either forged them or filed them to shape(or both). So we're back to the early 1800s, at least.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Sorry friend. Triumphs, just like American vehicles, used Unified threads back in the sixties. If you are in the spares business you would know that.

Reply to
mikemalcolmbell

In the very early sixties there were BSF and whitworth,and UNC and UNF as any British car mechanic would know. In the seventies the Brits switched (slowly) to metric.

Reply to
clare

But your English bikes don't run and so far you haven't been able to fix them.

How many years has it been since you were regaling us with tales of the Royal Enfield Bullet and how difficult it was to repair?

Reply to
goodsoldierschweik

The Enfeild isn't hard to repair - but the fact is you never finish repairing. Like any Brit bike or car

Reply to
clare

I owned one back in the days before the Bullet grew a rear suspension. A rather rudimentary machine, other then the Lucas electrics :-(

Reply to
goodsoldierschweik

Yup. Still restoring them? I can only "restore" means in High Desert lingo, "another pile of oily junk".

As for Bozo Bins, I should certainly hope so. After all you simply can't have someone running around telling the truth about you. Can you.

Reply to
goodsoldierschweik

Talk talk talk talk talk

I'm on about mile 2800 of a 6000 mile bike trip... right now.

And what is the great biker of Taft doing? Oh yeah, right. Same as always.

LOL You may as well ask for a space shuttle computer knob, it would do you just as much good.

You will NEVER ride a motorcycle again... and that's assuming you ever have. The million miles of "scooter" riding is as believable as the war vet nonsense etc.

Reply to
The Weight