OT: 17th Century Biodiesel?

It's pretty boring, but they'd flip over some nylon line. Or a spare pair of binoculars. Sunglasses. Ballpoint pens. A spare chart. A fishing rod. Folding rigging knife. Aladdin mantle-type oil lamp. Storm suit. Condoms.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Hmm, show Mr. Navigator how it works. Make th' deal then remove th' battery. I'd wager th' battery would then go for a few more barrels of *fuel*. Or get her killed. At th' least it'd drive home th' point of said transaction.

Cool concept, good luck to #2 daughter. Add me to th' mee too list of those who'd enjoy reading th' rest of th' story.

Snarl

Reply to
snarl67

Glenn Ashmore wrote: > I wonder what a digital Timex

Not a lot after the battery ( cell for the nit pickers ) runs out. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Maybe include instructions for a lemon juice and zinc backup? :-)

That is more or less one of the sub-plots of the story. Contrasting our disposable society with the principles of earlier times that things should last.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

Very good point. Why even deal with them and why do you need fuel with a sailboat. One thing that should sink in fast would be that your completely ****ed if anyone even sees you ! It would be like that find nemo cartoon with the seagulls after bait , MINE! MINE! MINE! I wouldn't go to sleep without someone (from my time) watching around all the time. I'd have to pretty desperate to tie up close to anyone in that era.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Ah ! never thought of that ! Of course this is ONLY if the Girl finds some FUEL ! One Flare gun might not be enough......

Why do I think "Waterworld" kinda stuff might be necessary to write into this story for her survival ? heck, who is to say she will ever get back to the same coordinates that might bring her back ?

OH MY !!!!

Chris L

Reply to
grumtac

Gee, Come to think of it, "Daughter #2" might want to cut her hair and dress like a boy !

Chris L

Reply to
grumtac

Analog might be easier to interest someone in, but the real problem for navigation is going to be proving in a short period of time that it has no drift over a voyage-duration period of time. Only if you can take the the solar time of a reference longitude with you and still have it a month later to compare to the local solar time is it of value for determining longitude. The value of chronometer would have been widely known when the longitude prize was announced in 1714, but your more intelligent navigator had probably thought about the problem long before that. Still, it took extensive many-months tests to prove Harrison's chronometers were actually up to the task.

While you are talking to the navigator, it's possible whipping up a spreadsheet of some trig tables on your laptop and printing them would be worth quite a bit. Not sure what the time period was, but there's a big window between when people started using tables and when they had error free ones... Continuing with idea of information as a commodity, while modern charts wouldn't be good enough for details, they might still reveal a lot of potentially usefull large-scale geography, including accurate locations of various islands. Probably better to first trade for some paper (parchment) and redraft them by hand rather than give out the suspicious originals!

As for soft copper tubing, while it would be a shame to destroy perhaps someone had french horn or trumpet around to trade - and any sailing ship of the era would have had casks of the pine pitch needed to bend such thinwall tubing, though it would take an experienced hand.

Chris

Reply to
cs_posting

Dont forget the German attempts at running engines on gun powder...most unforgettable.

Gunner

Gunner

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Leo Lichtman" wrote back on Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:30:11 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Yikes! Heating oil is diesel oil by another tax classification.

Kerosene is not an "oil", with a low flash point, but one with a higher flash point.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Glenn Ashmore" wrote back on Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:06:22 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Things were made to last, because they were expensive to make. And you used them till they wore out. (Of course, not to many examples of the stuff which wasn't made to last has survived.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

I seen her the queen of the Sirens herself, at the helm with only two small rags to hide her privates. Her mast and hardware of solid silver and a hull as smooth as a dolphin and as fast as one toooo.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Any of the pirate ship's crew that fired at her boat would be picked off with her stainless Mini14 "shark gun". That's the beauty of fiction, you can write yourself out of any situation :-)

Fred

Reply to
ff

I've used a digtal Casio watch for star sight fixes and sun lines without any trouble. Don't understand why you claim a handed mechanical watch is necessary for navigation.

Tony

2004.
Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

I think that I'd rather have a nice shooting Kentucky rifle for that era. At least I'd be able to get ammo for it. I'd afix a good optical sight to it so that my shots would be accurately placed. The stern of those old ships was generally the best place to attack one as that was the one place that didn't have much firepower. The small rail cannons would hurt but not destroy like the main guns would and the stern is the easiest way to approach such a ship, especially with a diesel to assist in propulsion of the attacker.

Bob May