OT: 69% are worse off

In a recent poll it was found that 69% of Americans say they are worse off than they were when Bush took office. They also found that 81% said that they thought Bush had done a poor job as president and another 80% say the country is on the wrong track. If 69% of the people say they are worse off then they were seven years ago it's not surprising that they also think the country is heading into the wrong direction. So there you have the results of a republican led government. They had their shot and they did a very bad job and proved that they are not good at governing. The question now is will the public have the good sense to send them back where they came from?

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

At 1:57 AM this date (7/20/08) Hawke wrote:

" It's easy to generalize about any group and to f " So there you have the results of a republican led government.They had their shot and they did a very bad job and proved that they are not good at governing."

Reply to
Don Foreman

A logical conclusion derived from the results of the poll. Also a valid description of the feelings of the public on the Bush administration, again, based on the poll results. Thus, this is not a blanket statement but a conclusion based on the poll results. HTH.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Don Foreman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

In contrast to "Chicken" Hawke's claim, I - and my family - are in better financial shape than we've been in decades.

Changes since 1/20/2001: 1. I'm out of debt: no mortgage, no recurring non-utility bills, etc., other than my portion of the Health Insurance premium. 2. My income is higher than it's ever been by a noticeable margin. 3. I get a nice refund from the IRS each year that pays my Real Estate Taxes, Homeowner's Insurance, Vehicle Insurance, and RV Insurance. 4. Since 1/20/2001 I've been able to pay cash for a custom-ordered Diesel Dually. 5. Since 1/20/2001 I've been able to pay cash for a midrange 38' Fifth-Wheel RV.

Before that time, we were living from paycheck to paycheck and, sometimes, having to dodge the bill collectors while praying that the old $400 '77 Buick would hold together just a little bit longer.

Life is much better now.

Reply to
RAM³

"RAM³" In contrast to "Chicken" Hawke's claim, I - and my family - are in better

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And, of course, you can trace this improvement to the Bush administration. Well, I guess you must be fortunate enough to be among the minority who benefited from all the deregulation. Were you one of those who sold all their Enron stock at just the right time? Or maybe you work for one of the companies that is being awarded the no-bid contracts in Iraq.

Go down to the unemployment office and chat with the people in line about how good it feels to pay cash for a 38' RV, while many of them are losing their homes.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Touche.

Hopefully ramp's diesel dually has an 8' bed, so when Dumpster Diving times commence, he'll have a leg up.

I suggest ramp start practicing some dumpster diving now, for non-perishables, so when the elbows really start flyin, he has a little more experience.

Congress is actually getting rich from the things you mention. Ken Lay/Bush have been circle-jerk buddeez for years. A little higher.... that's good.....

Reply to
DrollTroll

LOL Bush... You know I've always cracked up at the Republican claims of Clinton's "Mena" connection. Why? Well, for ten years before and then during Bush's run for the Texas Governorship he was flying around in Alder Berryman's twin Cessna much of the time.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

ROFLMAO!!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Indeed..Im far far better off today, than at any other time in my career

And business is booming

Gunner

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

He has done a horrible job as president and a fair amount of the financial trouble we are in can be attributed to lax oversight on the part of regulators appointed and controlled by GW's administration. But I think it's wrong to do the worse off/ better off test because the results have a lot more to do with economic cycles than the short-term policies of an incumbent administration.

Reply to
ATP*

You mean the stupid bastards who got a subprime loan with a balloon?

Fuck em. Their bad judgement in trying to cash in on the housing bubble is no different than a bad investment in the stockmarket.

Are you crying over someone who invested in Willard Water and lost their ass?

Btw..I paid off my house during the Bush administration.

And have paid off most of my bills, bought work vehicles (cash), tools and so forth.

And Im not living from paycheck to paycheck anymore.

Thanks be!

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Heads up...I train/hunt/ with the SWAT guys...and in an emergency..would be deputized.

Part of the Establishment.....

Plans within plans..and networking networking networking

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in times of great moral crisis maintain their neutrality", John F. Kennedy.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

And the funny thing.... there doesn't seem to be a Republicans left? I don't see hardly any Bush stickers driving the roads and no-one jumps up to admit that they're Republican at parties.

Maybe there has been some good come out of the Bush Administration?

Reply to
Al

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch wrote on Sun, 20 Jul 2008 16:25:47 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Or selling too late. ""If I knew then, what I know now ..." I'd still have the same problems, but at a higher cash flow.

They always say the best time to buy a house was five years ago. So call me back in five years.

I wish I could say the same. I'm just barely scraping by enough to buy the house. Okay, so it's a fixer, but it's not like I expect the OT to last forever.

tschus pyotr

I wonder if there are procrastinating lemmings who are late for the cliff jumping?

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

The poll addresses Bush, his administration, and a specific period of time. You then generalize this by asserting that this proves something about republican led government .... thus proving the assertion made in your previous message!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yeah, it is for the people in the top twenty percent of wage earners too. But Delbert, it was a poll I was quoting not my opinion about anything. So the fact remains 69% are worse off after seven and a half years of Bush running the country. That's not a record to brag about. Almost seventy percent of the people have lost ground even when working harder than ever. How about commenting on condition of the majority of Americans not your own personal position because that means nothing to anyone but you. You probably have a house that has increased in value too, right. Yeah, we believe you.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

That's because a lot of republicans saw how lousy Bush was and up and quit the party. The party membership has dropped a lot in the last few years. Not a lot of new sign ups these days.

Yes, I think there has. It has finally taught the lesson to a lot of people that if you elect people who say government is the problem and that government can't do anything right, and then go out and prove that to be the case, lots of people actually learn. As we all know conditions are shitty. Jobs have been lost for six months straight, most people have lost a lot of money on their homes, lots of people have lost a lot of money in the stock market, the credit markets are in trouble, and a lot of banks are ready to fold, and we're four trillion more in debt, just to name a few of the troubles. As the poll said 69% of Americans are worse off than they were seven years ago. Add it all up and despite what republican leaders and a few of there followers on this board say this country is in a mess. I said that Bush would make a mess of the country when he got elected. Now he's done his job and all can see how he did. Maybe people have learned that republicans are not very good at governing. I sure hope so. I'm not saying that the Democrats are very good either. But I am saying that it's their turn to try their hand at the wheel. If they do a bad job then they get the boot too. All we can do is send different people to Washington. Sooner or later we have to find some people who can do the job. Clearly, the bunch we just had sucked and all but the few die hard Bush Lovers know it.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in news:MhOgk.250823$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

What line?

Around here, there are more jobs than there are job-seekers!

You must live in the wrong part of the country or, heaven forbid, belong to a Union.

Nationally, unemployment is running around 5.5% - a figure that, actually, represents full employment when the professional welfareites, drug dealers, out-of-office Politicians, and other crooks are set aside - and that figure has been consistent for the past 20 years.

I've been getting an average of 2 unsolicited job offers per month to which I reply "Sorry, but I'm not interested."

FWIW, Last week one Houston TV station ran a series of news program segments describing shortages of qualified workers. #1 on the list was Machinists.

Reply to
RAM³

Wait about 2 years for the full effects of the inflationary spiral that has been set off, first by Greenspan holding interest rates so low for so long, and then second, by GW Bush's absolutely out of control budgetary and economic regulatory practices (or lack thereof). You will find out that the dollars you have are rapidly becoming WORTHLESS and will continue to do so for many many years to come. Soon, they may be good for absolutely nothing on an international basis.....and maybe even worthless for transactions within the US. Dave

Reply to
dav1936531

=============== It is highly likely that both parties will continue to produce disaster after disaster, as they are anachronisms left over from ages long long ago.

The Republicans seem to be stuck in a McKinley era with unlimited natural resources and space, unlimited immigrants to provide cheap labor, and hemispheric, if not global, hegemony, while the Democrats are stuck in an FDR era of economic collapse requiring a nanny state to provide relief while they correct the problems, to be followed by leading a crusade to "save the free world."

Both parties are living in a world that never was and never will be, and their continued domination of the political process, through a process of consensus and back scratching, has lead to ever increasing taxes and gridlock. A poster child for this process is California, where the taxes continues to go up, the quality of life continues to go down, businesses continue to leave, and the state still cannot pass a budget because of the constitution prohibition against deficits [in spite of which they manage to have about 10-15 billion state budget deficit per year].

Much has been made of the Bush tax cuts, but "Tax Day" when the citizens have paid off all their taxes and start earning money for themselves is now beyond 4 months. That is for the typical citizen, about 1/3 of everything they earn goes for taxes, AND THIS IS STILL NOT ENOUGH.

In the United States, Tax Freedom Day for 2008 is April 23, for a total average effective tax rate of 30.8 percent of the nation's income. The latest that Tax Freedom Day has occurred was May 3 in

2000. In 1900, Tax Freedom Day arrived January 22, for an effective average total tax rate of 5.9 percent of the nation's income. According to the Tax Foundation, the most important factor driving changes in Tax Freedom Day from year to year is growth in incomes, as the progressive structure of the U.S. federal tax system causes taxes as a percentage of income to rise along with economic growth. Tax Freedom Day varies among the 50 U.S. states, as incomes and state & local taxes differ from state to state. In 2008, Alaska had the lowest total tax burden, earning enough to pay all their tax obligations by March 29. Connecticut had the heaviest tax burden- Tax Freedom Day there arrived May 8. New Jersey had the second heaviest tax burden, having to work until May 7 to pay their total taxes. According to the Tax Foundation, the following is a list of Tax Freedom Days in the U.S. since 1900:[1]

Other sources suggest a much later date (early June) when *ALL* taxes are included such as state sales and municipal income/property taxes.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee